Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

    all i can do is crawl
    An_250445 posted:
    hello Wedmd forum, im new to this,, i dont know if im in the right area but,,,,,, the other day i just put my hands to the ground so i can do 1 streatch. but what happened was inbarable. now its been a few days and i have a scarp killing pain in my lower back, and it moved to my right leg. its very hard to get up, i cant walk straight i have to crouch down and it kills, so i have to walk on all fours, when i sit on the toylet, its painful on my right leg, cant even wipe myself,,,, ,, i had my friend buy a heating pad, and i did the heating pad for 20 min and icepack for about 15 min, and im taking tylenol 600 every 8 hrs, i know its sioatica i must have pulled something, but does anybody know anything else i can do to stop the pain???
    trs1960 responded:
    I'm going to say this before Joy .

    My recommendation is to see a physiatrist. They are the best equipped to get you going in the right direction and prevent further injury!

    Just my opinion ;-/
    bj1208 responded:
    Hi and welcome to the support group -

    @ TRS1960 - LOL u beat me to it!!

    @ An_250445 - yes I think you should get in to see someone as soon as possible. Stop taking Tylenol, if you can, and take ibuprofen - they are 200mg each and you can take 4 every 4-6 hours - much better at these types of pains.believe me I know how this hurts - when my disc blew (click on my name or pic and read story) I was the same way having to crawl to bathroom - it's not fun. so I would suggest going to the ER if the pain is too much. they can take an x-ray and maybe prescribe something til you can see your primary doc.
    Nothing really stops nerve pains - except Neurontin and Lyrica but a pain specialist would have to examine and prescribe this.

    Then you should see your primary care doc - he/she can examine you and refer you to a PHYSIATRIST Pain Specialist. Sometimes the pain clinics booked or a month or so and your primary should be able to help til you can get in.

    the pain specialist will make sure that you get the right kind of tests etc., (MRI/CT Scan etc) to see what's going on - be sure to tell them everything that has happened.

    Please keep us posted what you find out.
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

    Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

    ~~ Joy ~~
    trs1960 replied to bj1208's response:
    And if you do start up on pain meds from your doc or ER I suggest you also take some stool softener. Nobody likes talking about this, but if you have that much back pain and an ER doc prescribes you moderately strong analgesics,the
    trs1960 replied to trs1960's response:
    (Continued) ...the pain and meds will plug you up and having severe back pain with severe constipation is absolute HELL!! Once you've adjusted you'll be alright, but better safe than me
    styxreoted67 replied to bj1208's response:
    hello BJ1208 i went to the hospital, and they gave me, nerproxyn, flexerol and vicodin, ive been taking it 4 2 days now,,, i got really drowsey and it still hurts like crazy, only like 2% i got bettr which isnt alot at all....
    bj1208 replied to styxreoted67's response:
    Hi Styxreoted67 - I'm glad that you went though - did they do any x-rays or other tests?

    Be sure to call your doc tomorrow and see if you can get in - have him/her refer you to see either a Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist. I really think an MRI or CT Scan needs to be done to see what's going on. Nerve pain in legs normally is caused by a disc problem in the back. Spine Specialists are the only ones that can read film reports (MRI/CT Scans) and give an accurate diagnosis. They will also let you know of treatment options. They will tell you surgery is the last resort after all treatments have been done.

    They can refer you to a good PHYSIATRIST Pain Clinic that can help with treatments etc.

    Please keep us posted what you find out~~
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

    Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

    ~~ Joy ~~
    trs1960 replied to styxreoted67's response:
    Naproxen is a prescription strength NSAID. Flexeril is a muscle relaxant and Vicodin is analgesic and acetaminophen for pain.

    Medicine is not magic and there's really nothing ( other than full sedation or anesthesia) that just takes pain away.

    Drugs like Vicodin help to reduce the pain signal while the acetaminophen reduces inflammation. Muscle relaxers help keep the muscle tissue from further damaging themselves from stress and oxygen deprivation from lack of blood flow. The Naproxen also reduces inflammation allowing the body to remove damaged cells as the white blood cells flush the system...that's a real oversimplified version, but the point is you need to follow the doctors orders and allow your body to heal itself. The medication doesn't heal, it just makes the pain more tolerable and aids the body' in flushing out damaged tissues while it repairs itself. Patience and caution are as important as the medication.

    Hang in there and be patient, but if your not feeling like its going right get back in to the doctor! Sometimes it's a hard call to make.


    Helpful Tips

    Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
    Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    226 of 343 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center