Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/pain-management/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

7 days and no relief
    slamina1 posted:
    Hi to all-
    I am a 57 yr. old with osteoarthritis, stenosis, degenerative disk disease, and spondylolisthesis. I do have a reumatologist but not scheduled again until end of August. I'm on here because it's been 7 days and no relief from the left low back and is made much worse by sitting and going to standing. I have no problems sleeping but I'm unable to get anything done and we just moved so groceries are needed, etc.. How can I know what exercises to do when I'm not the issue? I'm thinking it's the spondylolisthesis because of the painful area when pushed on. If there's anyone who would have any idea, I'd appreciate it so much so I know what to do and not to do. I really need to get moving. Thanks so much in advance..

NRN2B2 responded:
    Take time to read a book by Robin McKenzie. I have exactly the same type of problems you do I am 58 next month. I started physio 5 weeks ago and I am able to do so much more, since I started. To be able to garden for the 1st time in 10 years has been wonderful with out so much pain. Hope you can have the time to read and see if this would help. It is a 100 pages long in soft cover. Everything that he and my physio therapist said I have had and am on the way to some few hours of enjoying myself outside. My physio is certified in this technique of back care. You will know fairly quickly like about 2 weeks I could see that the suggested therapy was working already. At this moment I am just finishing my exercise flexing backwards and am on my way out to cut some more flowers. Send me any questions you have. The book is really cheap on Amazon.ca. I am not sure if your in Canada or where ever. Good Luck I have suffered since I became a RN working in Emerg from 1980 so I know exactly what is happening. Been there, hoping this continues. NRN2B2

slamina1 replied to NRN2B2's response:
    Thanks so much for taking the time to share this with me. I did go to Amazon and look at the book. He has so many of them and all have 5 star reviews. He must be good by all the people's responses. I'm going to look for it at our local book store for less. My back was doing better for a couple days so I did alittle around the house and the next day...back down again. Dang.. it hurts when I go to stand up but I guess we learn to deal with the pain until we can get the muscles supporting the back strengthened. I won't have surgery and I praise my Dr. for not sending me to a ortho. Unless I can't walk..I'll keep working on doing what I do and stay away from aggravations. Along with the book.. of course. Thanks so much again and I'm happy you found relief and can garden again!! Horrah... Take care of yourself

Kat23429 responded:
    Hello to you! I'm 31 and suffering from the same conditions you listed. I see a neurosurgeon in about a week and look forward to knowing more about my options. Newly diagnosed with all of this a few months ago. I'll be glad to learn from anyone with good advice!

Helpful Tips

Try water therapy
    I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    22 of 32 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center