Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1.Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/mental-health/

2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
    Who Understands You?
    Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
    Who supports you the most when you find yourself struggling with Bipolar?
    Do you have someone you can lean on, someone that understands you best?
    We all need someone to count on, lean on, who is there for you?
    Chrissy~

Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Anneinside responded:
    I have a supportive psychologist and psychiatrist, within the limits of our professional relationship. I can get an urgent care appointment with my pdoc within 1 or 2 days but of course the appointment is limited to 10 minutes or so. I can call my psychologist and leave a message if I am in crisis and she will call me back but again our time is limited. I am lucky in that she has given me her home phone number but we have an understanding that I will only call if I am on the verge of suicide. In 9 years I have only called her two times.

I live alone and my geographically closes family lives 3 hours away. Most of my family don't want to hear about my "problem". However, one sister who lives half way across the country is a major support. We are in touch weekly and I know that if I am having problems I can call her and she will be supportive.

billy456 responded:
    My dad has BD and is struggling very hard with it, he is almost scary to people who dont know what's going on. He has no resorces, no job and lives with his 87 year old parents. I live in a different state and have a hard time getting there. He needs help and I dont know what to do. Please help.
    Concerned Daughter

Csacsa replied to hounds1's response:
    I said the same thing to my husband too...

minkysmom1 responded:
    My Husband and this Board.

Loves to all,

Minky

WolfFaerie replied to billy456's response:
    Hi Billy456! Welcome to the board! I have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind. First, is your dad in any type of counseling or therapy? Also do you know if he's taking meds for his bp?

I don't know how you get in touch with your dad but I do have a few suggestions for you that may help you out and your dad too. First, look up on the internet his local area mental health agencies. They may be able to provide you with information on resources that your dad can use for his bp. Another resource you can look up as is the local chapter of NAMI for your dad. Second look up the local chapter of NAMI for yourself and educate yourself which should help alleviate some of your concerns for your dad.

There is another post called Mattthecat who is a non bp person but a supporter to his wife. Who also has a board on here called Bipolar Spouse and Family Member Support Community. You might want to check it out for yourself. I would like to thank you for wanting to know more and your efforts to support your dad thru this too.

Good Luck
    Wolf

Dyanne48jj replied to WolfFaerie's response:
    THIS BOARD aka MY FAMILY !!! You guys came in to my life at a time I just did not know what to do. I thank and love you all !!!

My sister. She is hereditary BPII

My bff but unfortunately she is in Atlanta. We have worked 2 diff jobs together and known each other for 22 yrs. My husband may be the one who 'completes me' but honestly she is like my 'other half' we have been thru SO much together.
    (I love & miss you Christine)
    I KNOW I am crazy....THAT is what keeps me from going INSANE!!! Oceans and Stars- Dyanne

DeeDee785 responded:
    Actually, no one really understands them when I say I have Bipolar Type 2. They automatically think Bipolar and at any given time I can turn into Mr (well Ms.) Hyde from what they've conceived Bipolar is. My fiance freaks every time I have a panic attack and wants to take me to the ER. My dad thinks it's my mother's fault and says that basically she's the devil and staying away from her keeps those demonic energies from being around me (now, mind you, he's not a religous fanatic...but sometimes he makes me wonder). My sister gets stoned face and quiet and dear God, I made the biggest mistake thinking that my supervisor or my friends at work would understand because now I'm a liability. I'm not stupid--for the past couple of months, they've been trying to push me out of the door without using my mental illness as an excute--because that would be illegal. It'd be easier to break my spirit and get me to leave than to risk a lawsuit by firing me. So...I'm pretty much alone--more so now that my therapist has been away and my support group in town is helpful but doesn't give me nearly enough time to process what I need. I'm drawing, journaling, reaching out to a good friend who understands because she's going through the same, but I still feel so powerless and burdened and alone and now I'm depressed and anxious like I haven't been in months. So to answer the question of "Who Understands Me?" Here...in this small town? No one--I'm a freak here.
    Happiness or misery is in the mind. It is the mind that lives~~William Cobbett

BipolarDisorder2 replied to DeeDee785's response:
    IrwinsLady....especially since I've been gone from here, she's been a huge support for me. My b/f does when he can as well.

soldier173 responded:
    No one

krstng responded:
    I dont seem to have anyone that understands

msunderstood14 responded:
    I just found out a week ago, and so far no one understands me. My family doesn't believe it or refuses to believe it and my husband doesn't get it and doesn't even try to get it. I sent him numerous articles so he could, but he didn't even read them. nice right? which is why I am severely depressed right now and why I decided to try support groups, because I feel so alone right now.

Anneinside replied to msunderstood14's response:
    Just as it can be a shock to you, it can also be so for your family. Give them a little time. They may come around.

blackeyedpea44 responded:
    my mom and this board
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
    -FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE

atonic_bomb replied to emy0312's response:
    I just turned 20, I was diagnosed with BP 2 almost a year ago. I've had two failed suicide attempts. I thought I was losing my mind. I felt very alone. Last November I checked myself into what is generally known as a psych ward. The people there were just like me. No one thought it was weird for me to break down crying during mealtime, or yell over dumb stuff. They didn't have to try hard to understand because they were all dealing with similar feelings. I met my best friend there. He gets me better than anyone. I'm not saying you should do what I did. I'm just saying that sometimes, when you think that there isn't a soul in the world who you can talk to, surprises come your way. It may not happen as soon as you would like, but it'll happen. Don't listen to your family. Your not crazy, you're just going through something that they can't possibly identify with. Stick with it. And find someone to talk to. It'll help keep you sane.

dinnfire replied to atonic_bomb's response:
    am 19 and havent been diagnosed with bp so i never thought to talk to anyone, i thought i was crazy, but knowing my mom is the same i have reacently been consulting her and she has been helping me through this since she is the only one i know that understands and doesnt think i am to emotional. thanks mommy (:

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
    There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    37 of 43 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.