Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1.Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/mental-health/

2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
    Who Understands You?
    Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
    Who supports you the most when you find yourself struggling with Bipolar?
    Do you have someone you can lean on, someone that understands you best?
    We all need someone to count on, lean on, who is there for you?
    Chrissy~

Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

DDem23 replied to emy0312's response:
    Dont worry, your not alone w/this bi-polar hold on me too i dont understand the way I go from one state of mind to another within days

indigofem1 replied to DDem23's response:
    Nobody understands bipolar...the only ones who do are...well, the bipolar patients themselves. My own therapist told me - over and over - that I can CONTROL my bipolar cycles. What does she think, that I haven't tried? I quit drinking, drugging, smoking...those are under mhy control. Cycles aren't. I just quit psychiatry and therapy. My psych is - was - incompetent. My therapist...well, when I start telling lies to my therapist, that's the time to go...

mattthecat replied to indigofem1's response:
    Only those who have bipolar will truly understand what it is to have bipolar disorder especially since each person seems to have their own set of symptoms. But I believe there are a lot of people who can understand and or are able to be understanding. I grew up around those who have bipolar and i truly believe i have a unique understanding of the Illness. I have met others who have bipolar relatives who truly seem to have a good understanding of the illness. I have seen some good medical professionals who seem to get it. i have also seen others who do not.
    I believe there are a lot of people out there if given a chance can understand what those of you who have bipolar are going through and ever be sympathetic to your pain. Will those who do not have bipolar ever truly experience a manic episode or a severe depression probably not. There are those out there with big caring hearts who can reach out to those in bad places and truly have a understanding shoulder to lean on. I have seen understanding people in motion before. if you do not believe me check out any number of churches and nonprofit organizations including NAMI. You will find those who are not hungry sympathising with those who are. those who have never been disabled sympathising with those who are and any other combination you could imagine. There are tons of people out there with open hearts and open minds if given a chance. I hope each of you with bipolar disorder finds someone who understands you.

Matt

Ruth0010 responded:
    Right now I'm going through depression with anxiety and I can't get to the doctor until January 18th. My boyfriend paid for this visit as I don't have insurance. I believe my boyfriend is now supportive because he has a male friend he can talk to who had a wife with bipolar and this man is nonjudgmental. Thank God for people like him out there. He was the one that told my boyfriend someone needs to help her. I cry off and on during the day...make impulsive decisions...say inappropriate stuff...I'm taking lithium but I need something more....I'm at the bottom of a pit trying to get out

bpcookie replied to Ruth0010's response:
    Hello Ruth, Nice to meet you. I'm so glad that your b/f is supportive, its so much easier to go through this when you know that you have someone you can count on.

Welcome to the board. Happy Holidays.
    You may go through life hearing a 1000 NO's but don't give up because your YES is out there waiting for you.- (Something my father told me.)

Ruth0010 replied to bpcookie's response:
    Thanks for responding.....yes, I'm blessed but I've ignored my disorder thinking it would go away the past 4 years and now I have a mess.....looking over the 4 years I can see the wreckage in a constructive way...I hope I never forget that I need to treat this disorder in order to get some amount of positive community to my fellows....they see my actions and think "geez she says one thing and does another" my beliefs are still the same I think therapy will help a lot...when I was doing well I saw my doc 1 time a month so I wouldn't forget I need to be treated...thanks for your support

Iwannabehappy replied to emy0312's response:
    Hi.

Don't believe anyone you are crazy. You have a condition and you are getting help with time. I am sorry you don't have anyone. Most don't. I found this friend in the beginning of dx and he understand me and I him. But no one else does unless they go through it.

you are lucky you know what it is and you can try to control it. I went 33 years thinking I was a mess, crazy, and full of myself ....then I struggled with work and college so it was ADD....and on on......I am 41 and today, for instance, I feel I am not going to get involved in any kind of work or social environment because I am afraid I will mess up and make my husband think little of me or look bad if it's his friends......He doesn't understand either and he is a doctor.

Try to go one day at a time and listen to positive comments. I hope you find a way to cope soon.

grkg1970x responded:
    My wife is my rock and my refuge. she knows me so well and she knows how to deal with me. It is amazing but sometimes just the touch of her hand can soothe and calm me.

Gene
    Renee's Attic

http://reneesattic.ecrater.com

Iwannabehappy replied to Iwannabehappy's response:

It sounds like me struggling with many miss dx. At 27 Adult's ADD struggling thinking poorly of myself and that stayed with me even now the medicines make me normal. Only circumstances change my mood now. At least. and by circumstances I mean him lol. We've only been married 4 years I am 41 and have 2 kids from previous marriage.

My husband doesn't accept that I have BP disorder because it puts me on the "incompetent list"

He just think I am a big pain in the behind and I am difficult. I criticize everything he does and that is always his fault. Gets upset because I forget things.....I've had it. How can a person of Medicine cannot understand it? Like you said only those who live it understand it.

Thank you

Iwannabehappy replied to grkg1970x's response:
    Because she is a woman lol. Women have that kind of motherly caring soothing touch.

I am very glad for you. I have a friend BP he's wife is like that and she's a therapist too lol

julianne07 responded:
    no

nycgal448 responded:
    my psychiatrist, 2 bffs and my ex.

nycgal448 replied to jselleck's response:
    That is true love. VERY fortunate. gl

smt1216 replied to emy0312's response:
    I know how you feel. I'm 36 and I don't have anyone either. My boyfriend, and family try but they don't get it. Don't ever think your crazy you are special

designmom651 responded:
    My mom,therapist and my best friend. But my cousin is my #1 my aunt (her mom) was BP1 and she lived the roughest life because she let the diease get the best of her/lived& died on the streets in May 2012. My cousin gets me through everything because I am just like my aunt. Even came close to landing on the streets myself if it were not for my parents after having a 5 month manic episode this summer. But I live with the memory of my aunt as a reminder that she walked the worse path that us BP can walk by going untreated and simply treating her symptoms with booze and living on the streets. So in honor of her I choose to fight this and seek all means possible to stay healthy and fight for continued remission. My cousin is so non-judgenmental and unbias, I can 100% open up to her and know she wont judge me. In a way I am a comfort to her since I remind her of her mom in the good ways as well. My aunt was amazing until she couldn't handle the loss of my grandpa when she was 38 she passed away at only 54. Though after living through my first full blown 5 month mania than the depression that followed, I get why she could not cope. Plus our family did not fully understand what bipolar was about and mostly blamed the booze. But being that I am her mini-me, we now get it. It helps bring closure for many in my family about her death. It is ironic it was my grandpa passing that sent her into full blown mania and my grandma passing 15 years later that sent me into my full blown BP1 mania. I thank God for my family and my friends and my beautiful 4 year old son. They give me a reason to fight to stay sain.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
    There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    37 of 43 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.