Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1.Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/mental-health/

2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
    Who Understands You?
    Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
    Who supports you the most when you find yourself struggling with Bipolar?
    Do you have someone you can lean on, someone that understands you best?
    We all need someone to count on, lean on, who is there for you?
    Chrissy~

Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

ginpene responded:
    The people who today most understand and support me are my husband of 33 years and a handful of really close friends. One thing that I think of when people say that they have no one is that 30 years ago I would not have thought my husband would ever get it. And I would have thought the same of most of my close friends, too.But they have all understood, after being exposed to me in sane times and being educated. Plus, they all have significant stuff, too, like Chrohn's, difficulty getting around, severe depression and probably a few things that I know even know about. So as much as the expression pains me, it's about sharing sometimes, I think. So look every where for support, and, obviously help others, too. I don't mean to sound Pollyanna-ish, but do look...
    GP2013

01kianakeo responded:
    My mom has been there for me through thick N thin. Ive put her through a lot and for that im sorry. She knows when im manic before i do. lol

dori5011 responded:
    Hi,

I believe I have a very strong support system. My family is amazing especially my mother and my 3 sisters! I also have an amazing boyfriend who is always there for me

My mom has been helping me battle manic mood swings, bipolar, depression ect for the last 8 years.

I have seen to many doctors in this time and believe I have been diagnosed wrong.

My mother reads and learns about all of this and is a huge help. My sisters are also always there for me if I ever need anything.

My boyfriend is amazing and does his best to make me as happy as possible when I am in a depression.

I believe having a great support system in place is vital to someone with a condition such as bipolar

I hope to talk to all of you soon,

Dori

resiliancy500 replied to dori5011's response:
    Dori,
    You might want to start discussions or answer those listed when you press HOME at your top left. You seem to be commenting on conversations 4-5 years old put up by those no longer active here.

An_260022 responded:
    I dont have any support. No one seems to care what I am going through. I have no friends because they call me crazy or dismiss what I am saying when I tell them I am sick. It is lonely here. I look forward to my appointments with my psychiatrist and therapist because they understand and motivate me. I am in school, and my classmates and professors are always complementing me on my discussion boards. I am a online student. I couldn't bear being in a classroom. Anyway I just graduate with honors with a Associates degree in Early Childhood Education, and it boosted my self-esteem so much that I re-enrolled and am going for my bachelors. I have learned that sometimes you have to encourage yourself.......

cheryllmt responded:
    Therapist & I pay him....

cheryllmt responded:
    Therapist

kkleach responded:
    My husband has been my pillar of strength during my emotional roller coaster ride since I was diagnosed back in 1998. He tries so hard to understand what I'm going through on a day-to-day basis. To make things more complicated, our 21-year-old daughter was diagnosed with BP1 and anxiety when she was 15. I honestly don't know how he does it!

Has anyone out there experienced that same situation? I'd love to get different viewpoints. Thanks for reading my post.

toasted1 replied to bpcookie's response:
    I wish with all my heartn that my wife had supported me. Instead, she left me and got a legal separation four months after I was diagosed. I guess she just didn't want to deal witb it. She is the love of my life. Call me a fool or a sucker, but I tried for years to try to get her to understand and come back to me. It was to no avail, and it continues. I have wasted ten years pining away for her. I know it's not healthy, but I just can't let go. I know I am rambling, but anyway, no one else does understand. I have no one for any support, and feel very lonely and alone. True to the illness, hopeless, worthless, rejected, even though on the outside I have a really succesful, comfortable life.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
    Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    117 of 134 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.