Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1.Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/mental-health/

2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
    Includes Expert Content
    Low stomach acid
    An_257981 posted:
    Hello there !!

Could someone tell me what causes low stomach acid and the home remedies for it

Thanks !!

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
    Dear An,

Low stomach acid production, or hypochlorhydria, is a relatively rare phenomenon that can present with a variety of symptoms (gas, diarrhea, irritable bowel) that can be caused by a variety of problems ranging from excessive use of antacods to autoimmune diseases to stomach cancer to infections or inflammatory processes to certain vitamin deficiencies or anemias. GI symptoms should be evaluated by a physician to make a proper diagnosis and treat the underlying cause.

There is probably (?) a gastrointestinal link or website within WebMD -- sorry I'm not sure for certain -- where you can probably obtain more specific information than from here.

Dr. G.

Dr. G.

vishnupriyasrinivasan replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
    Dear doctor G.

Thanks a lot for your response.

Recently i've noticed unusual farting. Does this indicate i've low stomach acid ?

I've tested with baking soda and I did burp right on the 3rd minute and also a again at the 11th minute. Just for your information, i've irregular menstrual cycle. i've got this tested with the doctors and there seems to be no issues with my system, i've seen with n' number of doctors and they all said me the same . I believe its hereditary as my mom as had the same condition during her 20s and this was fine after she was married. in addition to this, i've got in a lot of hair loss. does this all relate to one another

Could you please advise.

An_257981 replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
    Dear doctor G.[br>[br>Thanks a lot for your response.[br>[br>Recently i've noticed unusual farting. Does this indicate i've low stomach acid ?[br>[br>I've tested with baking soda and I did burp right on the 3rd minute and also a again at the 11th minute. Just for your information, i've irregular menstrual cycle. i've got this tested with the doctors and there seems to be no issues with my system, i've seen with n' number of doctors and they all said me the same . I believe its hereditary as my mom as had the same condition during her 20s and this was fine after she was married. in addition to this, i've got in a lot of hair loss. does this all relate to one another[br>[br>Could you please advise.

Joseph F Goldberg, MD replied to An_257981's response:
    Dear An,

Could be related to your diet. Or perhaps irritable bowel syndrome. If you saw a gadtroenterologist they could likely give you a more informed impression.

Dr. G.

Dear Doc.G

Thanks for your advice.

In addition to hair loss, i also have complexion reduction problem, also,i my ankles and my legs swell at time. does this relate to any physical issues ?

All doctors who tested me have said me that my body is good and fit but my problem is never resolved

Joseph F Goldberg, MD replied to vishnupriyasrinivasan's response:
    Dear vishnu,

Hmm, hard to know what might be going on without examining you and doing a proper medical evaluation. Sorry we can't do more here on the internet.

Dr. G.

Dear Doc G.

Do you think i should go ahead consulting a gastroenterologist

Thanks !

Dear vishnu,
    It would probably make sense to start with your primary care doctor and if he or she thought that a gastroenterologist was called for then they could make that referral. Either way, sounds like a doctor should be examining you and offering their specific impressions face-to-face.

Good luck.

Dr. G.

Doctor,

But as i initially told you i've already visited more than 5-6 doctors and everyone says me things are fine and there is no problem with my body.. what do i do

Dear Vishnu,
    You could certainly consult with a gastroenterologist and if they determined no physical explanation for the problems you're having then it is possible your psychiatrist/psychotherapist might be able to help. Sometimes strange bodily sensations have no physical explanation but could be related to how the brain perceives and processes information.
    Dr. G.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
    There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    37 of 43 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.