Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1.Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/mental-health/

2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
    BiPolar and Heat
    zumbadancer posted:
    I am 69 and was diagnosed with bipolar several years ago. In my earlier years, a psychiatrist tried every pill out there but nothing really helped. Just a few years ago, I was started on Lamictal. I felt like a different (improved) person. I noticed as the dosage was increased I began to have what I call prolonged "hot flashes". These are overwhelming and last for about 5 minutes. I have a very low tolerance to heat and cold, but having Fibromyalgia I think probably contributes to the puzzle.

I just wish I could go back and undo some of the mistakes I made before I was diagnosed. My poor children had to live with (almost) a maniac!

polarberry responded:
    I am also 69 & diagnosed in 1993. Doc tried bunch of drugs until Depakote stabilized me. Unfortunately after a mania we can (and I did-6 mos.) fall into deep depression. My doc tried a bunch of antidepressants (each 6 weeks to see if they work) and finally one did. I was concerned about taking 500mg of Depakote daily and as we age we need less medication for same effect. My doc let me cut it to 250mg a couple years ago and I have not had any episodes whatsoever and am glad I am only putting half that drug in my body daily. I am blessed with a terrific husband who was very understanding and supportive (married 50 yrs). My kids also had to endure my mood swings but thankfully I got diagnosed and treatment when my last one was a teenager. It was a very rough road but I'm on the other side now----not that I'm immune but very less likely now. I never had the hot flashes you speak of but I never took Limictal either & that could be the culprit (?)

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
    Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    117 of 134 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.