Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/cancer/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3.Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Includes Expert Content
    Philomena McAndrew, MD ? Our Guest Mid-October!
    Olivia_WebMD_Staff posted:
    Dear Members,

We are delighted to be able to give you the news that Dr. Philomena McAndrew, the oncologist who treated actress Christina Applegate, is going to be our guest here on the Breast Cancer board in mid-October.

Dr. McAndrew is one of the founders of Tower Hematology Oncology Medical Group in Beverly Hills, Calif. Be sure to check out her biography .

We invite you to begin posting your questions to Dr. McAndrew now, putting her name in the subject line of your post. On Oct. 8th, our staff will gather the links to those posts and send them to Dr. McAndrew, so she can craft her responses. She will be answering on the board sometime after Oct. 15th.

Also, keep an eye out for the October issue of WebMD the Magazine , which will feature Christina Applegate and Dr. McAndrew. The digital version of the magazine is now live!

We hope you'll get the feedback you need!

Yours in Health,
    WebMD Community Management

Never Posted to our boards before?
    Here is a quick tutorial to walk you through it.
  • Go to the main boards page here -- http://exchanges.webmd.com/breast-cancer-exchange
  • Look for the orange "Post Now" button in the center part of the page.
  • Click and you'll get a dropdown menu for Discussion, Tip, or Resource. To post to Dr. McAndrew you are starting a Discussion, so select and click that option.
  • If you are not registered with us, a window will pop up allowing you to do a quick register. It takes just a minute.
  • Once you click "Submit" on your registration the Start Discussion box will pop up so you can type in your post title and body. Once you've typed your question, just scroll down to the orange POST button and click.
  • You're all done. Your post will appear on the main board page. Just go to the first link above to see it there.
  • And, you may want to use your browser to bookmark your post so you can check back to see if Dr. McAndrew chose your post to answer!
  •  
    Mercycalls responded:
    I do not have a question just something to share. I was a 55 year old woman when I was diagnosed with breast cancer a year ago. I had not had a mamogram in at least 5 or 6 years. One day I was in a dr office and there was a magazine there featuring Christina Applegate and her cancer story. I read that and right away felt convicted to get checked. Yes I did have cancer. I just wanted to share that her article inspired me and perhaps saved me life. By the way I believe it was a People magazine I read.

Dawn aka Mercycalls

Philomena McAndrew, MD replied to Mercycalls's response:
    Dear Dawn

Thank you for sharing this. We are all grateful to Christina and many women like you who are brave enough to share their stories or experiences. This inspires women to be vigilant and undergo appropriate and necessary screening.

Good luck to you.

Sincerely
    Philomena McAndrew, M.D.

Helpful Tips

Radiation Burns
    I had terrible burns over 2/3rds of my breast after 7 weeks of radiation & I was miserable. Here is what I did. The doctor told me to ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    17 of 21 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center