Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/family-pregnancy/f/parenting/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

New to this, bear with me!
    Imjustjulz posted:
    As the title says, I'm new to even considering breastfeeding, although this is my 7th pregnancy. My first daughter passed away in utero, my second daughter, was delivered a month premature, and my son, was a micro preemie at 25 weeks. My other pregnancies were not viable, and I'm closing in on 28 weeks, and so far, ( knock on wood) I've had no major health concerns. Because of my past pregnancy issues, and a classical c-section prior, they will be delivering me by c-section Black Friday, at 36 weeks. With prior pregnancies, I wasn't able to breastfeed, even with medication, I never produced milk. My boyfriend, has emphatically stated, he would like me to breast feed. I am not opposed, if it's possible, but I must admit, I'm nervous, and scared, and stressing over the possibility. I am 36, and breastfeeding wasn't pushed as much with pregnancies when I was younger, formula, was thought to be a great option back then. Now, I find myself facing my own insecurities, as well as misconceptions and irritations already about breast feeding. I am willing to try, but am not comfortable with how it's already being shoved at me, and the fact that I'm being told a consultant will come in. I recently was with a friend during the birth of her child, and the consultant and doctors really were more then I think I am going to be able to handle.

I guess, I'm asking if it's ok to tell the doctors and nurses id like to try breast feeding, but would really just like to be private about it, and try without 20 people on my face and touching me and my son, while I try to adjust to it. Please don't think badly of me, but I am struggling with past failures in lactating, and my own mind with not feeling comfortable with breast feeding...

Any advice, suggestions, articles, or anything you can offer me? I'm honestly stressing myself out very much over this...

An_266989 responded:
    I hope you were able to adjust to breastfeeding your new baby...it is not the easiest thing to get used to, but once the first few weeks are over, and you are constantly nursing baby, it becomes much easier. My 3rd baby was much easier to nurse, keep it up, after going back to work, and my hospital wasn't overly pushy about it. They just encourage it and had a lactation consultant come visit both days in the hospital before coming home. They really are helpful and shouldn't be someone you fear Hope all is well!

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
    Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    10 of 18 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.