Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Starving
    An_267284 posted:
    My father-in-law lost his wife about 6 weeks ago and since moving home has stopped eating. Everything we fix for him ends up in the garbage. He does drink water and orange juice, but says the protein shakes his doctor recommended for him are too sweet. We try to get him to eat, but he just refuses. He has lost over 20 pounds since moving home. Are there any suggestions for things we can try to bring him back to what he was before? It is almost like he is trying to die, but he says he isn't. He has dementia also.

editor_morgan responded:
    Hi there and thanks for posting,

I can't imagine what your father-in-law is going through. I remember when my grandmother died, my grandfather would always say, "I feel like I lost my right arm." The bond between certain couples is so strong that when one of them passes on, the remaining of the two is sometimes irrevocably devastated and left feeling lost in this world.

Here are links to information that you might find helpful:

Stages of Grief

Grief & Depression

Grief and Grieving - What Happens

Caring for Someone with Dementia

YOU and your family needs support as well. Those taking care of someone with dementia experience a lot of stress and emotional fatigue. Click here to read more about support for caregivers of patients with dementia.

Have you spoken to you father-in-law's doctors and updated them on his condition? Keep close communication with his doctors, especially now after the death of his wife.

Please give my condolences to your family during this tough, tough time.

We ARE here for you ((hugs)).

Helpful Tips

once as soon as as
    From learning previous strategies on correct right here , I'm now not retaining my breath on getting a refund however will make unusual to ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.