Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Have you become forgetful? Do you have any tricks that help?
    Dave Balch posted:
    Much to my dismay, I have become quite forgetful lately. At first I thought it was just age, but now I'm convinced that it is largely due to the overwhelming nature of my caregiving.

For example, I can't seem to remember to help Chris do her exercises. I even have reminders on my Google calendar which tries to remind me with a notice on my phone, causing the "notify" sound to play. I hear it go off, think "Oh, Chris's exercise!" and then promptly forget it before I can even act on it!

I have a pill I'm supposed to take after dinner. I've done pretty well with that because I set an alarm on my Fitbit ("wearable technology" that keeps track of my activities during the day) which then vibrates on my wrist. But if I don't drop what I'm doing to take the pill right then and there, I usually forget to take it until later when a flash of memory reminds me: THEN I take it immediately before I forget again.

I could include more examples here, but we have a 4,000-character limit on our posts!

It's very frustrating but I've come up with some tricks to remember (like the alarm on my Fitbit). Here's another: I always put my car keys in a particular place (on top of the water bottle). Always. I don't seem to have a problem remembering to do that when I get home. If I need to remember to bring something when I drive somewhere (tickets, receipts, etc.), I put it next to the keys as soon as I think of it because even *I* can't leave without taking my keys! The beauty is that I can do this no matter when I think of it; putting it on the water bottle only takes a second and the item won't be in the way in the meantime.

Oddly enough, the one thing that I usually DON'T forget is my forgetfulness, which makes it easier to implement and then stick to my techniques.

Are you becoming more forgetful? Do you have any tips or tricks that help?

rohvannyn responded:
    My memory's always been like swiss cheese but then it started to get really scarily bad. That resolved itself, and even got better than before, when I got enough thyroid hormone and started taking liquid ginkgo. Aside from that, having a "parking spot" for all my needed stuff, buying stock in sticky notes, and developing routines helps me a lot. Like, I used to always leave the headlights on so I'd make a point to check the switch every time I take my seat belt off and turn the radio off, day or night, rain or shine. That way I always check. Routine is definitely my friend.

Dave Balch replied to rohvannyn's response:
    Sticky notes and routines - excellent ideas! Your headlight-switch idea might not work for me because I would forget that the lights were on during daylight hours!

rohvannyn replied to Dave Balch's response:
    I would always forget to switch off the headlights too, because I'd turn the car off and that would shut them off. But if I left the headlight switch on even with the car off, the battery would slowly drain. That's why I connect it to the seat belt, because the seat belt is something I always do.

I think the key to adding something to your routine is connecting it to someone else you always do. Like, I take an evening pill around the same time I feed the cat. She'll definitely remind me when I forget feeding her, so she kind of reminds me to take my pill too.

Dave Balch replied to rohvannyn's response:
    Also a good idea: to attach what you want to remember with something that you always do.

If I were to attach a pill to feeding the cat, I would probably put the pills on top of the cat food. I've tried what you suggested but if I didn't physically attach the two items I might still forget one of them!

Helpful Tips

Keep an updated medication list
    Many people we care for take a lot of medication. It is helpful, even lifesaving, to keep an updated medication list, including any ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    8 of 8 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.