Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/heart-health/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

The Failure of Vytorin and Statins to Improve Cardiovascular Health
    bobby75703 posted:
    The Failure of Vytorin and Statins to Improve Cardiovascular Health: Bad Cholesterol or Bad Theory?

The article in full:
    http://www.jpands.org/vol13no3/peskin.pdf

Sir_Porangi replied to toneman84084's response:
    But I agree that just measuring TC, LDL, & HDL is probably not the best indicators of future heart disease, but they are the best that are currently available.

We also both agree on this, it is the best we have at the moment until some one provides us something better than just guesses.

We are all in agreement that this cholesterol number is not a good indicator so why mass medicate the planet potentially maiming millions while profiting the few

Potential Conflict of Interest:
    Brian Peskin is also a consultant to nutritional
    companies.

Also Conflict of interest

The World health organisation people who accepted financial reward to help sell more swine flu vaccinations were paid by the very same industry that manufactures statins.

Who are we supposed to believe?

billh99 replied to Sir_Porangi's response:
    We are all in agreement that this cholesterol number is not a good indicator

Neither I nor Toneman said that.

We said best indicator. But it is still a good indicator and then best one currently available.

toneman84084 replied to Sir_Porangi's response:
    We are all in agreement that this cholesterol number is not a good indicator so why mass medicate the planet potentially maiming millions while profiting the few

Don't twist my words against me again, I agree that this is the best measurement we have now, I never said I don't believe in the cholesterol theory.

Please stop taking my words and words of others and changing their context to meet your needs.

If "high" cholesterol was such an enemy and if statins were such a savior how come people die, get stents or bypass operations when they have LOW CHOLESTEROL

Because;

Statins DO NOT:

1) Control Blood Pressure.

2) Cure the effects of smoking.

3) Bring damaged heart cells back to life.

4) Do not open already blocked arteries.

5) Don't cure diabetes.

All of these things will cause a cardiac event on it's own cholesterol not withstanding. You can treat your cholesterol but keep smoking and you have a high risk of a cardiac event still.

Potential Conflict of Interest:
    Brian Peskin is also a consultant to nutritional
    companies

Why do you insist on connecting two different situations into one systemic issu?. Did you read the article Bobby posted or are you passing judgment on a headline again?

This article was severely flawed and poorly written with many incorrect assumptions. It was written by an individual that is a Nutritional expert, therefore it's not a matter of trust, it's a matter of the quality of the presentation of his opinion. It is nothing like the situation at WHO, why even bring it up?

Why do you insist on connecting two different situations into one systemic issu?

To me they are not different situations at all. These are supposed to be trustworthy organisations beyond reproach whose advice for our health we should be able to rely on.

As the US Justice Dept and your self (with WHO) have rightfully pointed out these organisations with their own tactics can no longer be trusted.

Statins DO NOT:

1) Control Blood Pressure. ( Fish oil & ginger does )

2) Cure the effects of smoking. ( Mega Vitamin C does )

3) Bring damaged heart cells back to life. (COq10 & magnessium does)

4) Do not open already blocked arteries. (Niacin & vegetable juice does)

5) Don't cure diabetes. (Atkins or Eat raw for 30 days does)

STATINS HAVE BEEN PROVED TO
    • strip COq10
    • cause muscular dystrophy the heart is a muscle
    • cause violence and suicide

To me they are not different situations at all. These are supposed to be trustworthy organisations beyond reproach whose advice for our health we should be able to rely on.

They are two completely different issues. WHO committed fraud. This articles' author did no such thing, I trust that he gave his opinion in good faith, I just find his position to be incorrect in my opinion. I never said he committed fraud by supplying fraudulent information.

Don't confuse a difference in opinion with fraud so please don't use my words in the incorrect context again.

WHO committed fraud.

Were they paid by the pharmas who have convictions, multiple civil law claims and engage in ghost writing practices?

Statins DO NOT:

1) Control Blood Pressure. ( Fish oil & ginger does )

2) Cure the effects of smoking. ( Mega Vitamin C does )

3) Bring damaged heart cells back to life. (COq10 & magnessium does)

4) Do not open already blocked arteries. (Niacin & vegetable juice does)

5) Don't cure diabetes. (Atkins or Eat raw for 30 days does)

This has nothing to do with my post. I am not even talking about these risk factors, I am pointing out that some one can have other risk factors along with good cholesterol numbers and still be subject to a risk of cardiac event. Why must you divert attention away from my comments to change the context in which it was written. If you don't want to reply to my comments, then don't but stop confusing the issue with information that has no relevancy to the topic.

STATINS HAVE BEEN PROVED TO

• strip COq10
    • cause muscular dystrophy the heart is a muscle
    • cause violence and suicide
    Has nothing to do with what I posted. Either address my statements or pass it by. If I want to discuss these items I will, even though NONE of these are proven but noted in trials which you don't believe in.

Were they paid by the pharmas who have convictions, multiple civil law claims and engage in ghost writing practices?

Again, nothing to do with this thread, but your opinion is duly noted.

even though NONE of these are proven

These are all proven and documented beyond any doubt by the manufacturer's themselves.

These are all proven and documented beyond any doubt by the manufacturer's themselves

Again, back up your statements. I have looked for data to support this and there is NONE, just some opinion papers and articles. Show me what you have seen that tells you these are proven.

You make statements I would like to research but provide no data or links to it.

I have looked for data to support this and there is NONE

Are you truly telling us that among all your data there is no reference to muscular dystrophy, violence, aggression and suicide?

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Statin use is generally safe, and NOT associated with cancer and myopathy
    This network meta-analysis study provides evidence on the comparative tolerability and harms of individual statins. Overall, statins as a ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.