Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/heart-health/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Starting the cholesterol-lowering drugs EARLIER 'could prevent thousands of fatal heart attacks
    iride6606 posted:
    At least 9.5 million lower-risk, young people who would benefit from the drugs aren't currently taking them, they estimate.

Dr George Thanassoulis, director of preventative and genomic cardiology at MUHC, said: 'Targeting statin treatment to this group would prevent an additional 266,000 heart attacks and strokes over 10 years.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3494142/Should-taking-statins-Starting-cholesterol-lowering-drugs-EARLIER-prevent-thousands-fatal-heart-attacks.html

surfoahu responded:
    Sales, sales, and more sales. This is nothing more than an attempt to expand the statin market into the younger generation.

iride6606 replied to surfoahu's response:
    How about discussing the facts rather than going to your sales rhetoric? Maybe your old "sales manager" can help you,

surfoahu replied to iride6606's response:
    It is about sales. If it were not for the cash flow generated from statin sales, nobody would bother promoting them.

Do you perform your job for free? Probably not.

Nothing sells better in the food and drug industry than a study proclaiming the benefits, and sometimes that means doing whatever is necessary to achieve a glowing report from a study. Its a tremendous sales tool.

Add to it the scaremongering of death if people don't use the product and you have the ultimate sales tool.

I am very familiar with the tactic. Its as old as the hills. I personally don't agree with it.

iride6606 replied to surfoahu's response:
    That makes no sense, by this thinking selling any drug is a bad thing. Can you back up your feeling that the data presented is not correct before you go into your sale rhetoric? I'm guessing not............

surfoahu replied to iride6606's response:
    Sales has been my life and I easily recognize my home turf.
    They create these studies and then use the media as a free sales tool. Believe me it works and it works very well.

A study gives a product credibility so the public doesn't question it. When the media blasts it on the airwaves and in print, sales skyrocket.

Sales is very aggressive and utilizes every tool it can to boost numbers. Its a numbers game. You either achieve your target numbers or you are out the door looking for a job. If you want to eat you better hit your numbers. If you want to be able to pay next months mortgage you better achieve your numbers. Even the CEO will be looking for another job if sales numbers don't do well. Its all a numbers game.

Sales is the foundation to a free market society. Every business needs sales, but that does mean the product they are selling will perform as perceived. It could be a quality product, or it may be a total dog.

In the case of statins, they are being sold with a consumer perceived image of preventing a future heart attack or preventing heart disease, or extending one's life. But there is no way of proving the buyer will receive such a benefit.

surfoahu replied to surfoahu's response:
    Correction to typo: But that does NOT mean the product they are selling will perform as perceived. It could be a quality product, or it may be a total dog.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Fasting before a cholesterol test
    Interesting................ http://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/fasting-before-a-cholesterol-test More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.