Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/ear-nose-throat/

2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3.Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Includes Expert Content
    Hearing loss after tube insertion
    4macs posted:
    I am 47. After suffering for years with Eustachian tube issues. My GP suggested I get tubes put in. Let me state that my hearing is normally fantastic, in fact I make my living in the sound recording business. So I was looking forward to the tubes keeping my ears "open" all the time and no longer needing nasal sprays or holding a crazy balloon device to my nose.

So I got the tubes put in and the results were disastrous. I immediately had a major reduction in my ability to hear. Bass sounds were gone and low level ambient sounds were also gone. In fact my ears felt more plugged than ever and everything sounded like I was under water. Having conversations was a chore as people had to repeat themselves to me. My own voice sounded like I was hearing myself with a bad cold and not like it was coming in through the air. Then I developed a ear infection in one ear. The doctors did not believe me when I said I was not hearing right. Sure I could hear the tones when they tested my hearing, but that is an isolated single frequency. Nothing like trying to hear complex multi frequency real life sounds.

Things in my daily life that I always heard were gone. The fan in my office spun in silence. I could not hear the turn indicators in my car. Everything was muffled.

The final straw was I started to have a constant humming pulsating and droning sound in my right ear that was loud and never went away. It kept me up at night.

Today they removed the tube in my right ear, and I am hoping my hearing will return to normal in that ear. My left ear still feels dull from time to time.

So how could putting in tubes to "open" my ears make seem duller and take away so many of the sounds that I hear in day to day life? And what is this humming sound?

Tari26 replied to callip's response:
    Hi. I just got tubes in and I am an adult. I am experiencing the same symptoms you did. I hear myself talk. It sounds as if I am listening underwater or if I have my fingers in my ears and it is difficult to participate in conversations because I feel I miss a lot. Did your problems ever clear up? I just got my tibes in last week.
    Thanks

Tari26 replied to lilbunnybri's response:
    Hi. I just got tubes in and I am an adult. I am experiencing the same symptoms you did. I hear myself talk. It sounds as if I am listening underwater or if I have my fingers in my ears and it is difficult to participate in conversations because I feel I miss a lot. Did your problems ever clear up? I just got my tubes in last week.
    Thanks

Tari26 replied to An_187417's response:
    Hi. I just got tubes in and I am an adult. I am experiencing the same symptoms you did. I hear myself talk. It sounds as if I am listening underwater or if I have my fingers in my ears and it is difficult to participate in conversations because I feel I miss a lot. Did your problems ever clear up? I just got my tubes in last week.
    Thanks

Tari26 replied to Golfanatix's response:
    Thanks

Tari26 replied to agsamuel's response:
    Thanks

Tari26 replied to teachermom39's response:
    Thanks

Tari26 replied to Hikergal1's response:
    Thanks

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Tari26's response:
    How in the world did you post SEVEN identical postings?

Tubes creates a new opening in the middle ear space that was formally only open via the Eustachian tubes. The e-tubes are normally closed so you will not hear yourself talk; they only open briefly when you swallow. When you have tubes, this opening stays OPEN all of the time.

You will get used to it.....and in a few more weeks, it should not bug you as much (hopefully).

nicky921 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
    Hi Dr. Moser,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am 49 years old. I am so scared about all this...it's taking a toll on my kids because they can sense mommy is not happy and sad. I'm getting depressed because I am regretting ever getting anything done to my ears. I never had tubes put it and never wanted to have them. The doctor that put these in didn't even tell me he was going to do this. He was supposed to patch up a hole in my right ear drum. I've had this hole for a while and lived with it. I just made sure not to get water in my ears. The doctor told me that by closing it up I would hear better. He assured me nothing would go wrong. I feel disappointed in this doctor because he should have not done anything else when he realized that my ear drum was too narrow to patch the hole up. He should have given me the option if I wanted to have the tube put in. He was the doctor I went to 10 years ago to ask him about tubes since another doctor wanted to put tubes in my years (I had ear infections when I was little but they stopped when I was an adult...I just had some hearing loss and I was able to live with that) so when I went to this doctor for the second opinion his reply was "no you don't want to get tubes in your ears...it could do more harm than good since your eardrums are thin and scarred." I still can't believe he went ahead and did this without my consent. When I went in to get the surgery it I signed a paper that said the surgery was going to be "Tympanoplasty" I's so scared this constant buzzing sound...it's driving me crazy and I can't sleep. Do you think that I can sue him for not advising me of the alternatives? The bad thing is my husband's company just advised him that as of January 1, 2012 they will not longer have coverage for medical insurance. So my husband will be looking for another job. I'm so nervous right now and I don't know what to do. I apologize for this long email but I'm so desparate right now and need your advice. Have you heard of someone having these symptoms that I described and did it get better and did the buzzing constant sounds go away? Thank you in advance for your advice.

Tari26 replied to nicky921's response:
    I hope you feel better and I am sorry that you are going through so much. I personally would be upset with the doctor as well. I wonder why he/she couldn's patch the hole in your eardrum?!...

Tari26 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
    Thank you for your reply... I have never done this type of format before and theought that I was replying to seven different people. I wanted to hear from them to find out how everything turned out.
    I've had tubes before, but it has been several years and I've never had this problem. As long as it goes away and I don't have to live with the muffled sound, then I'm fine. If it stays this way, I'll have to do something because it is difficult to function socially. Having conversations with my family can even be difficult because I miss so many parts or words of the conversation that i get frustrated.

nicky921 replied to Tari26's response:
    When I woke up from the anesthesia the nurse said to me I'm sorry but the doctor could not do the Tympanoplasty instead he put in a tube. I could not believe what I heard. I was out so tired still I figured I'd talk to the doctor. He was gone and I asked where is here since doctors usually come and see you after you wake up. They didn't know where he went but said he left. I asked if there was an emergency with him and they didn't know. Anyway, my husband called him after he drove me home and the doctor called back an hour later and my husband told him he had a couple of questions for him. The doctor replied I can't talk now tell your wife to call me in the morning and I didn't do anything to hurt your wife." Why would he said that without my husband evening questioning him. Anyway, when I called him in the morning I told him my ears were clogged and that the constant buzzing sound (ching, ching, ching...is what I hear in my ear) all day long and he said he didn't know what I was talking about. I asked him what he did to my ear and he said "I couldn't patch up the hole in the ear drum because the hole is attached to the middle ear...the drum was sucked in and you can't fix the hole now. We'll have to wait until tubes comes out (could be a month or a year)." Then he had to go see his other clients. The paper that I signed for the surgery said :Diagnosis: 384.20 Perforation of Tympanic Membrane. Proposed Surgery: Right Tympanolasty without osicular chain reconstruction R, (MV) (DOF) PNP. It said nothng about tube. I think the nurse said the procedure the doctor did instead was called myringoplasty tubes.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to nicky921's response:
    If your eardrum was retracted (sucked in), you would be at risk for forming a cholesteatoma (you can look this up) -- a retraction pocket that can result in some serious middle ear damage. If this was the case, patching the eardrum would not have been indicated, but tubes would be necessary to equalize the pressure that is retracting your eardrum.

The ENT really needs to explain this to you....that is HIS responsibility as your surgeon.

Dr. Moser,

My surgeon, I feel should have explained that to me and not put in the tubes. He told me the surgery he was going to do was Tympanoplasty, not tubes. I feel he was wrong by just going ahead and putting in the tubes without my consent. I was fine before all this. My hearing was fine (had some hearing loss on my left side). I just went to him as I do every year to make sure everything was okay. He said it was okay and said hey "do you want your hearing to get better. I asked him how and he said by patching up the ear drum. He assured me that nothing was going to damage my year, no hearing loss from it. The only thing that could happen would be that my hearing would just stay the same. Had I known he was going to put tubes in I would have looked this up in the computer and research more about it and would not have wanted them. I feel so violated by this doctor. I feel like he sucked the life out of me. I went from a happy person to sad person. I have two beautiful little twins that love to play and be happy and they could see I'm different. I have not desire to do anything but cry. I'm trying so hard to be strong so they don't see me this way. My poor husband is sad to see me this way. He knows I was not like this before this surgery that I didn't even know I was getting. Dr. Moser, from your experience is this something a doctor can do without letting you know first? He told me he would do plan A and then did plan B instead. I'm so hurt by all this. As for cholesteatoma I was told by one doctor I had that and I went to this surgeon who did my surgery and he also said I didn't have cholestatoma and he also said tubes would do more harm than good.

Wouldn't he be able to see cholesteatoma before hand?

Helpful Tips

Drugs and reactions
    As long as we're on the subject of reactions that Dr.s say they have never seen problems with their large number of patients over the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.