Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1.Head over to this page:

    2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3.Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

    Includes Expert Content
    recently diagnoised
    wvwheels posted:
    I have just very recently been diagnosed with colon cancer. I am a 55 yr old female and I am scared to death not knowing what to expect. I have been very sick and cannot keep anything but jello, broth and water on my stomach. I have an appointment next week to see a surgeon. This is driving me crazy, all I do is think about the fact that there is something inside my body that could kill me. I watched my father and my best friend die of cancer. How do you stop dwelling on this? I also have an arm I cannot use and have lost both of my legs to sugar, which creates a whole other set of problems dealing with this.
    jenniemorales responded:
    I know it is hard i was diagnosed the day before thanksgiving. i was 46 turned 47 mar 2. It was very hard and some days all i could do was cry. i didn't know i had that many tears in me.all I could think about was getting this thing out of me, if i could have i would have pulled it out of my butt myself, the longer it is in me the worse it will get. you must think of the postive.they found it in time, they eill be able to remove it, think postive. I am going to do everything i can to beat this. i'm doing chemo right now if that doesn't work i have been searching the internet for other things i will try anything because that is better than me sitting around waiting for it to kill me.Good luck to you and remember you are not alone, i will be praying for you wvwheels.Jennie
    An_187334 responded:
    dearest wheels, i am a 63 yr old woman.. i was diagnosed 1 year ago with stage 4 colon cancer and have undergone surgeries...chemo both orally and infusion also radiation treatments. everyone is different but i can honestly say it was bearable...first thing is to keep a positive attitude..thats very important..and also to find a dr. that you feel comfortable with.. there are medicines that can help with side effects. 2 weeks ago i had my final chemo treatment and have found out im cancer free! so you see miracles happen and along with modern medicine anything is possible. youll be in my prayers
    Hope Uronis, MD, MHS responded:
    I wanted to check in to see how things are going. Were you able to see a surgeon and develop a plan? Sometimes my patients feel better after they have a plan on which they can focus. This allows you to channel your energy into trying to get better.
    Hope Uronis
    wvwheels responded:
    Thanks to all that replied. I appreciate the thoughts and prayers. I had my surgery on April 16 and came thru it well. The cancer had spread locally so they got out all they could. Now it will be treatment time soon. Ido have a colostomy which will be permanent. Having alot of trouble keeping the bag on the stoma. Don't know how this will work out. I will
    be thinking of you all and sending up lots of prayers.
    BunnyGale replied to wvwheels's response:
    I went throught something similar in Jan. Was diagnosed in October and started chemo and radiation..Very lucky with both..just extremely tired. I live alone so my daughter moved back in during this time. I had surgery in Jan and was left with a permanent colostomy also. I am 54 and thought my world would end. Two days after the original diagnosis my significant other decided to bale on me. Better at the beginning then wait to see what my body became and THEN leave..That would have been harder..My last CT was clean..Now my CEA numbers are high 6.2 but I was a heavy smoker up till 3 years ago, and also having shots of B vitamins weekly..I couldn't have round two of chemo because I became septic and got mersa after surgery..!! Good luck to you.
    lsspn50 replied to An_187334's response:
    My mom was diagnosed in December with Stage III colon cancer. They did surgery and removed all the cancer and surrounding lymph nodes, which 1/2 of them were infected as well. I'm a wreck because I live so far away and I don't understand what's going on. My mom tried the oral meds along with the chemo, but the oral meds were making her extremely sick to her stomach and caused diarrhea, so they changed to weekly infusions. She seems to be doing well, but I fear it will come back. Do you happen to know if this type of cancer is slow or fast growing? My mom never went for a colonoscopy until she had problems, so I don't know if it's because she waited all these years (she's 80) or she's had it for years and it gradually grew to Stage III.

    The reason I'm asking you is because your posting is made it through treatment, you're cancer free, and ready to put all the pieces back together. That's wonderful and it gives me hope that my mom can do the same.
    robcow replied to An_187334's response:
    im a 54 yr old and after reading what you endured and to beat it give me hope i go for surgery on tuesday ihavingbeen praying and family have been supportive and to know there hope give me reasons to fight thank you
    tammyrobo replied to lsspn50's response:
    I was diagnosed with Stage IIIB colan cancer in June 09, I had my surgery in Oct 09. They removed 24 lymphnodes and 21 of them tested positive for cancer. I received infusions every other week which I had to wear a fanny pack for 48 hours. From what I have learned is that colon cancer is actually a slow growing cancer. My doctor told me after the surgery that if I did not do the follow up chemo that I had a 70 percent chance of reoccurrance if I did the chemo it would drop to only a 30 percent reoccurrence. I have been cancer free for a year and a half now. I wish your mom and your family all the best. Keep us posted.

    P.S. Have you had your colonoscopy yet? I made all my brothers and sisters go get theirs right after I was diagnosed. My grandmother had it back in the early 1980's.
    tammyrobo replied to robcow's response:
    I wish you all the best on Tuesday. My surgery was a year and a half ago. Just remember one thing, take it one day at a time and one step at a time. Everyone heals in their own time and never hesitate to tell the nurse or the doctor when something just doesn't feel right. God Bless You and please post to let us know how your doing as soon as your feeling up to it.
    anginaberryz responded:
    Colon cancer is cancer of the large intestine (colon), the lower part of your digestive system. Rectal cancer is cancer of the last several inches of the colon. Together, they're often referred to as colorectal cancers.Most cases of colon cancer begin as small, noncancerous (benign) clumps of cells called adenomatous polyps. Over time some of these polyps become colon cancers. Polyps may be small and produce few, if any, symptoms. For this reason, doctors recommend regular screening tests to help prevent colon cancer by identifying polyps before they become colon cancer.
    HyperHowie replied to Hope Uronis, MD, MHS's response:
    Hey Doc, quick question. White male, age 66, overweight, low exercise level (yeah, I know), low consumption of fruits & veggies (I had been working on it) 4 benign polyps removed 8 yrs ago. I am scheduling a colonoscopy as I have some "classical" symptoms: narrow stools - no bigger than two thumbs in width, often no longer, stools vary from soft to hard, now in its 3rd week. Father/brother had diverticulitis. QUESTION: reaching the stage of "narrow stools w/ change in bowel habits for 2 weeks" is this a "highly predictable" factor for colon cancer? And finally, if so, could this be a indicator of Stage IV. THANK YOU for responding!
    georgiagail replied to HyperHowie's response:
    "highly predictable" factor for colon cancer?" No.

    Stage IV? No.

    evie296 replied to An_187334's response:
    know this is 4 years later, but would you mind sharing whether or not the cancer had spread to other organs?
    sallyjazz replied to lsspn50's response:
    Hi there, I just read your post from 5 years ago but it is so similar to my situation, I had to write in hopes you would read this. My mom, 82 and in great shape, has just been diagnosed with Stage 3 rectal cancer, and also one lymph node. The doctors are suggesting chemo and radiation, followed by surgery after the mass has shrunk, and then 6 more months of chemo? I'm so scared! I was just wondering how your mom did with her treatments and how she tolerated them? I hope she and you fared well in this very serious situation. Thank you. Sally

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center