Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1.Head over to this page:

    2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

    Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

    What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
    How and Why to Report a Post
    Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

    I have a question about SSDI
    cindigal posted:
    I could call social security but you know how they work, you can never to speak anyone or on hold forever. Also, any sites I went to about social secuity, you have sort through pages. That's why I am pleading here to get a answer to my question. I get SSDI every for my disabilty, speech aphasia stemming from brain injury. I am 57 now and was married 13 years and then we separated in 2005. He moved to another state and he started to get sick in big way with cancer. He passed away in January and it still hurts cause we will still chatting all the while we were separated. my question is would i be able get his Social Security because he was over 63 and was retired. He was also a veteran and was getting a stipen from VA. Thank for in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    rohvannyn responded:
    I hope you can find good help and information. A lot will depend on whether or not you were legally married at the time of his death. If you were, you may be entitled to some of his VA benefits at least. Maybe start with asking someone with a Veterans' advocacy group?
    jians responded:
    you may want to contact the veteran group were your husband was assigned.there were actually different VA offices depending on the state were you are.or you may want to ask a lawyer for any legal advice.,ill try to get tel# as well of websites that may help you.,my job was not related to VA but we do contact some of their offices.,
    cjpxx responded:
    You need to contact whoever completed his tax returns. Bank, CPA office, and insurance office. This questions starts at the CPA office. If he has a CPA, you're in luck. That person will help you. If he doesn't, ask a CPA what to do from there, but find out what you can about his estate, tax information, etc. first. Write down everything you have and know before you go into the CPA office, but starting with a phone call to his CPA is just fine
    cjpxx responded:
    Move quickly. The CPA office will get busy in September. You will be delayed more, but if you can get started now, before September, you'll get more done. They are too busy to do stuff like these situations except in the summer times sometimes.
    pldkk responded:
    Sounds like you have the SS part worked out. I have experience with the VA rules and if you were still married to your husband and not at fault for the separation, you are eligible to receive VA benefits based on his service. If he was receiving disability compensation and not pension, you would be entitled to DIC if his death is deemed related to his military service. If he was receiving pension benefits, your entitlement would be based on your income. Unfortunately, since you are receiving SSDI, your income would probably disqualify you from any pension benefits unless you have out of pocket medical expenses to offset your income. The VA pension program is similar to SSI and Medicaid programs. DIC is not income based and is more like SSDI.

    I highly recommend you apply for VA benefits whether or not you think you may qualify. The worst that can happen is they say no but you may also be approved so what will it hurt to apply? You can apply online at the website. I encourage you to send in an application. You have nothing to lose. Best wishes.

    Helpful Tips

    safe AD to take with tramadol.
    my doctor just put me on tramadol and i take cymbalta. More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.