Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1.Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/mental-health/

2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
    How and Why to Report a Post
    Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

My husband told me he'd wake up sometimes not remembering his name.
    stephxgcha posted:
    My husband told me that sometimes he'd wake up in the morning not remembering his name, my name, or where he is. I don't know how long this has been going on for, but he told me that he's been feeling down and he doesn't know what's making him feel that way. I asked him a couple of questions and he told me that he thinks about what I'm going to do if he passes away (we're in our 20's). He just doesn't want me to feel pain, he said. I asked him if he feels this way often and he say it comes and goes, but it's repetitive. I don't know what to do other than comfort him. Is this a form of depression and do we need help? He sleeps fine at night most of the time, if not, then it's because of his back pain.

chteacher responded:
    Definitely, take your husband to your doctor. My husband is quite a bit older and had some "episodes" during which he couldn't remember the right word to say and his mind felt blank. He had an MRI and saw a neurologist. They found that nothing was wrong with him, but he had been so concerned that it was a good thing we checked it out. Men are notorious for not wanting to see a doctor for any reason, but I know from my experience that they feel better when they "bite the bullet" and go see one! I know you must be concerned for him, too.

stephxgcha replied to chteacher's response:
    Will it show up in background checks or affect finding jobs? That's one reason why he doesn't want to go see a doctor because he doesn't want employers to use that against him. Did your doctor prescribe your husband any medications? My husband is very stubborn all around health related issues and will not be okay with prescriptions.

Besides all of the above on my first post, my husband is a long-tempered, happy person. He rarely gets mad or upset at anyone or anything. He's talked with his friends and he said they'd have that too. So, I don't know if it's part of maturing/aging or maybe he's not happy with something in his life. I honestly don't know.

chteacher replied to stephxgcha's response:
    No, my hubby was not prescribed any medications. And he hates taking them, too. I wouldn't think that seeing a doctor for any reason should effect background checks or jobs. There's definitely a stigma for seeing any mental health professional, but that's not the same thing as just seeing your GP. I guess you could just ask him if he feels like seeing his doctor might make him feel better and go from there. Maybe he could start with just having a good physical check-up. Men do not like to talk about their feelings, that's for sure.

Helpful Tips

iPhone app that helps me stay active
    I've been using the "Feel Good Tracker" iPhone app to track my activities and to rate how good the activity made me fell. I find that doing ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    4 of 10 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.