Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1.Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/mental-health/

2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
    How and Why to Report a Post
    Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Depressed 19 year old daughter
    Danie5 posted:
    Hi, I'm in dire need of advice. Back in January we discovered that our 19 year old daughter began cutting herself. She was a freshman in college and was living there. We immediately got her involved in counseling and put her on antidepressants, as she was unable and unwilling to do anything except lay in bed. By around April she was finally opening up a little and truly did stop self harming. She is still taking meds and is telling her therapist that all is well. With just two weeks left before she's back to school, she had a terrible argument with her boyfriend and immediately took to cutting. Her good friend is messaging me concerned also. My daughter does talk to me and told me that she cut again. Very upset with herself. She has a counseling appt tomorrow but says that she not talking to the therapist. My entire family is suffering. My other children are walking on eggshells and I'm constantly terrorized. I'm exhausted from worrying that she is going to hurt herself and I have no idea how to help her. She is "an adult" I'm told. I need guidance and advice. Thanks in advance. One truly terrified mom

editor_morgan responded:
    Hi Danie5,

I'm so sorry that you've had to watch your daughter go through this. I completely understand how helpless you must feel.

I really encourage you to read this story about a mother and daughter's journey through self-harm and and how they finally got the strength to get help. It is helpful to sometimes to read stories of people who have been through the same thing and to be reminded that you are not alone.

Someone who is self-harming needs immediate help, according to this article . I highly suggest that your daughter seeks support group therapy for her depression. Cutting is a symptom of an underlying problem and if it is never addressed then the symptom will continue. Read more about how to find a depression support group that's right for your daughter.

Yes, your daughter is an adult, but if she is a danger to herself then you do have options. It says here that when people just can't break the cycle through therapy, an inpatient program can help.

At WebMD, we want to help our members when they need it the most. Here is a list of crisis resources, hotlines, and web sites that may be of help if your daughter is ever in trouble. Please provide this list to your daughter, and tell her that in the case that she thinks she needs immediate help and cannot speak to a family member, a medical professional, or a member of the clergy, to please reach out to one of these organizations or dial 911 immediately.

Please be sure to keep us updated. We care about you and your family, and we are here for you ((hugs)).

Helpful Tips

safe AD to take with tramadol.
    my doctor just put me on tramadol and i take cymbalta. More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.