Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/diabetes/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

New Atkins for a New You
    Michael Dansinger, MD posted:
    The Atkins Diet is back again! The Atkins diet, which raises controversy every time it re-emerges, is getting publicity in the form of a new book: The New Atkins for A New You.

The controversy comes down to the questions of whether the counter-intuitive strategy of eating significant amounts of animal fat helps reverse heart disease and diabetes risk, and whether cutting carbs to the minimum is problematic in any way.

In this new book, which remains true to the core concepts of Dr. Atkins' previous books, authors Dr's Westman, Volek, and Phinney have laid out the cumulative body of scientific evidence supporting the low-carb approach, most of which has accumulated after the death of Dr. Atkins in 1994.

See this link to the Washington Post story
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/02/AR2010030202091.html

If you have any comments about or experience with the Atkins diet, for weight loss, diabetes treatment, or heart disease risk reduction, please share them!

Michael Dansinger, MD

PghBill responded:
    Ten years ago I went on the Adkins diet. My cholestrol, triglycerides, and blood pressure were soaring. Under the watchful eye of my sceptical Cardiologist I lost 49 lbs in six months, cut my cholestrol, triglycerides and blood pressure medications in half. I bought my cardiologist the Adkins diet book and he began to recommend the diet to his patients. From the information that I have seen, there have been studies that have proven that the Adkins diet is effective. So the Adkins diet has become part of my life.

An_202489 replied to EngineerGuy's response:
    Don't know where you got your information but Dr. Atkins died of a brain injury he got when he slipped on the ice outside his office and cracked his skull. There were a number of news articles about it. And, he was not even remotely obese, not even overweight. You must not have seen his pictures.

I lost 30 lbs and dropped my cholesterol under 200 on the Atkins diet. The only reason I stopped Atkins was the same reason most people stop any diet, after a while it became boring. But, while I was on it, it worked perfectly.

KatherineMary responded:
    I have been on the Atkins Diet approximately five months. I am diabetic and experienced blood sugar levels of 284 and upward prior to beginning pharmaceutical treatment that lowered blood sugar levels, however not enough and left me feeling awful. When the doctor began pushing insulin, I decided I wanted out of that situation. I stopped the pharmaceuticals and began the Atkins Diet. My weight began to drop and blood sugar levels immediately dropped. I have lost 45 lbs. in five (5) months and my blood sugar runs between 99 and 125, depending on steadfastness to the diet. I take a multi-vitamin, chromium picolinate, vanadium, vitamin D, selenium, B complex with C, CLA, flaxseed oil capsules, and biotin. My energy has returned and my stomach no longer churns from the pharmaceuticals I previously took. The low carb way of life is the only way, in my humble opinion, for diabetic patients to take charge of their lives. I still have 45 lbs to lose, but based on what I've already experienced, I believe as long as I follow a low carb eating plan, I just might leave diabetes in the dust. I am beginning to believe doctors do not have patients' best interest at heart....merely pharmaceutical companies and their own. Not once, during any of my doctor appointments, did a single one of them tell me that if I went on the Atkins Diet that I would not only lose weight, but drop my blood sugar levels to normal. Not once. Well, they won't tell you, but I will. I am doing just that and foresee dropping my doctors in the near future. You cannot convince me that physicians do not know that Dr. Atkins low carb eating plan works. Why do they not help their suffering diabetic patients heal their bodies as their oath mandates? The answer has to be....MONEY.

Michael Dansinger, MD replied to KatherineMary's response:
    My experience with many other doctors is that they are very interested in doing their job well. Primary care doctors generally want to do a good job and take good care of their patients, including those with diabetes.

Most doctors are frustrated by their past failures to get good results with lifestyle recommendations, and they generally feel much more confident in their ability to control disease with medications rather than lifestyle coaching. It is a terrible shame, and the medical profession has failed miserably in the area of improving the methods used in lifestyle coaching.

The Atkins diet should have been studied scientifically, with randomized trials in patients with diabetes, 3 decades ago. Now we have around a dozen or so randomized trials of low carb diets, and they all show favorable results for weight loss and cardiac risk factors, however there is still legitimate concern about the possibility that it promotes (rather than reverses) heart disease risk, since the diet promotes saturated animal fat which normally accelerates heart disease. I doubt this is the case when the Atkins diet is followed strictly, but I worry about when it is being followed part way. Atkins himself warned folks about increased heart disease risk from following the diet haphazzardly.

Atkins is too far out of the mainstream for most doctors to embrace or recommend it. This is unfortunate. By the same token, there are many other eating strategies that are important and worthy of serious consideration by patients with diabetes, including vegan low fat, mediterranean, etc.

Michael Dansinger, MD

betaquartz replied to Michael Dansinger, MD's response:
    I don't think that drs. are only interested in money, or that they they believe that a pill is the best way to go, but.. .several factors come into play here. SOP from the ADA is to start the patient on metformin when the bg is in certain ranges going up to insulin in extreme ranges. They also believe in the statin prescription to pull down the heart/stroke risk. At the same time drug companies are pushing the cures, in the offices, on television, and else where. All they do is round off the edges, no one understands enough about the chemistry of T2 to really figure a cure. Along comes low carb, under any name and we have people going into remission. Is it low carb only, or could it be low glycemic index, is low fat better, is vegan better. Maybe some day we will have studies to help us determine what types of diet are better for individuals. I guess I am blowing smoke here, but I'll stick to low carb with modifications until I learn something better.

betaquartz replied to AshleySweets's response:
    I guess I am showing my age or my naivete, but for the life of me I don't know what "013 or "019t means?? Help a 60 year old man out here!

laura2gemini2 replied to betaquartz's response:
    Its a coding error. The phrase is "like for me, I just couldnt stand conforming to a diet", but for some reason it added stuff. I think maybe it was to be a link, but Im not sure

betaquartz replied to laura2gemini2's response:
    Thank you so much, I try not to be too dated on the tech stuff, as I taught computer animation for 20 years.

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to betaquartz's response:
    Those are likely punctuation marks-this new format shows when someone copies and pastes from another source. It is sort of a pain in some ways-because our health professionals and moderators often compose elsewhere-especially if it is something we repeat often. In other ways it is helpful if someone we don't know has the same type of errors shows up as it makes us take a closer look at the post to check for copyright violations or spam.

betaquartz replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
    However it happened, it was confusing, I have seen code errors before, and been able to trace them, but this seemed so out of context that I didn't expect it to be that sort of thing, guess I should have noticed the quote marks.

jambajuice replied to betaquartz's response:
    betaquartz,

You see this anomaly when you copy and paste from Word 2007...

Quotation marks retext as numbers. I use to routinely copy and paste prior to the recent changes but this recent update seems to produce this "glitch".

Now, I'm forced to spell on my own...I hope I spelled glitch, right. :)

medtype1 replied to EngineerGuy's response:
    It appears that you AND Dr. Dansinger have research to do. Dr. Atkins certainly did not die in 1994 if the book I'm using was published in 2002? The Web states Dr. Atkins was a 72-year-old heart patient who fell on an icy New York City sidewalk in April 2003 and died a week later from injuries suffered in the fall. People looking for ways to improve their lives need fact, not propaganda. I'm a 55-year-old woman who has battled obesity since childhood. I eat fruit occasionally, but the sugar is definitely a hunger trigger for me. Dr. Atlkins repeatedly stated that this is not a diet, it is a way of life. Weight Watchers says the same thing. But, the Atkins plan is a no-nonsense guide for people with self-control issues (if I don't buy it, it's not around to eat). If I make it to 72, it will be because of Dr. Atkins.

LKreicar responded:
    I tried the Atkins Diet in the late 90's in order to drop some weight. It worked...I went from 165 lbs down to 118 and maintained at about 125 - 130 for several years. I regained to about 145 after letting loose with the carbs again...they are addicting, you know. But the thing I remember most is while on a low carb diet, my blood sugar and cholesterol level were better than ever before; to the point that my doctor asked what I was doing to reverse blood test results. I've recently returned to maintaining a low carb lifestyle because my blood sugar and tryclycerides are high again. Since cutting the carbs back again, daily blood testing proves my sugars are maintained at healthier levels, and I'm sure to see good cholesterol results upon my next doctor's visit in 3 months. I am a firm believer in a low carb diet for diabetics, but also believe exercise and weight control are key as well.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Here is an article and review of The New Atkins for a New You
    by our Dietitian and Nutrition Expert Kathleen Zelman.

This article shares the basics of the diet, the pros, the cons, and what other experts have to say about the diet.

Geradine4733 responded:
    The Atkins Diet clogs the arteries. Some lean protein is good but fresh fruits and vetetables, nuts, seeds, etc. should be the mainstay of a healthy food plan.

Helpful Tips

tips to help me help a family member
    does anyone have tips to bring down diabetes More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.