Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/diabetes/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Pre-diabetic
    An_202624 posted:
    Hi,
    I'm considered pre-diabetic at this point and wanted basic info. such my carbohydrate limits. What's a healthy range? I'm not overweight, exercise about an hour most days and don't eat any junk food. My main source of carbs are fruit, some whole grain starches. I'm not sure how much is too much at this point. Can someone give me some insight or point me to some clear guidelines? Thanks!

krhudson responded:
    Try to cut back on the whole grain starches and eat nothing but mixed cooked veggies. They are the carbs that will not drive blood sugars up. Carrots are probably the ones to limit the most. I would say about 1/2 cup to a cup of veggies per meal.

I mix cauliflower, zuchinni, baby carrots and very slight brocolli since that is high in oxelate and so is green beans.
    Being Diabetic we are more prone to kidney stones oxelate is not good. I no longer eat table salt. I use a slight bit of olive oil and Mrs. Dash with pepper and microwave covered for 3-4 minutes depending on the mixture and amount.

Berries are the best of the fruits. Strawberries limited since they are also high in Oxelate so I eat the other berries and slight amount of cantalope and honey dew.

Before working out I go with Lower sugar Yoplait Yogart since that can spike the blood sugar up to 60 points or more.

Nuts are good, I use the Trader Joes with the dried cranberry and I also get low fat low sodium cheese, Safeways Lacy swiss or Alpine.

As you stick to fruits in moderation and veggies with your protein choices with a lot of salad, your blood sugars may do better over time and try to eliminate all white starches of which you may have done and almost eliminate the wheat starches/carbs unless just a little brown rice or a piece of wheat toast or half a wheat english muffin. Use those sparingly.

Consider baby red potatoes for a slower metabolising carb over anything else. Cut one in half and add it to the veggies that you microwave. They probably take as long as if you had baby carrots in the microve mix.

Sometimes I do take a large corning wear and just filll it with veggies and baby reds and that would be a couple days worth of veggies. I do not want to stuff myself horrible on them. I would say about 3/4 cup per meal. Fruit would be about 1/2 cup. I am thinking liquid measuring cup.

Also, for breakfast, consider a morning star veggie sausage as a protein. Many think eggs are the only way to get the protein. One patty in the micro for 55 seconds and that is it.
    They have larger boxes for $10.00 at COSTCO and it is 3/ 8 packs kept in the freezer. They are very expensive when sold in smaller boxes.

krhudson

phototaker responded:
    If you're a member of Kaiser in Ca., they have pre-diabetes classes, which would help. Also, talking to a dietician at a local hospital might be helpful too.

I think because you are not overweight, and exercise an hour a day, you seem to be doing a lot of the right things already.

What I would suggest is eating one piece of fruit with some sort of protein, like nuts(almonds or walnuts), to keep your blood sugar from going up. You want to keep your levels in the 35-40 range...around there. If you go too high on carbs, it might spike up your blood sugar levels. Some people on here are able to have more fruit, because they eat a lot of vegetables, stay away from meat products, etc.

This works for me, but every diabetic is different, and I sense you might be different than me, because of being thin and exercising already. I'm thinner now and exercise every day for an hour, but I am now diabetic. I'm not on medicine and am doing this by exercise and diet alone.

There will be other people on here like Auriga, that is thin and takes insulin. Maybe she can come up with some ideas to help.

krhudson responded:
    By the way, great going on the exercise. That is a real important part of the whole thing with Diabetis.

You may also want to buy a meter to test your blood sugars a couple hours after a meal , then you will get your portions where they need for your body. Eveyone is differnt and metabolize diffently especially when adding exercise.

Check the blood sugars first thing in the AM before the meal, fasting. Make sure the number stays below 110. Then test again 2 hours after the meal and make sure your not exceeding 140 since non diabetics can hit higher numbers but the insulin production usually kicks in faster and they get back to the 100 range within a couple of hours. See how your levels are at 2 hours. Then test before the next meal and hover close to 100. Then test at bedtime and see how all the good carbs stacked up during the day to bedtime.

Log all the tests with time of day, food you ate and date for about 2 weeks, then call the Dr's office and see if they will allow you to fax results to the Dr. Then the Dr. will see the patterns clearly.

Once you are done with that, you maybe doing so well you can reduce the amounts of testing since you are a pre diabetic.

Get a handle on all of this early and you never know you may never have to go on oral meds. It also sounds like your weight is on your side which really helps.

Keep us posted.

krhudson

Heidesan replied to krhudson's response:
    Thanks for all your suggestions! This will be a challenge as I love my good carbs... thankfully, I already avoid bad carbs altogether.

I need to keep a high calcium intake as I have osteoporosis early and it will get much worse after menopause. So, I've been using (no added sugar, plain) soy milk in my smoothies. Milk aggravates my acid reflux (caused by previous pain med use for my back problem.) Is soy milk a good idea in moderation?

krhudson replied to phototaker's response:
    Photo, when you say 35-40 carbs, you mean per meal at about 105-120 a day without snacks included? I guess I have not looked up the amounts of carbs in fruits and veggies but I am assuming those good carbs are not a high number?

When I used to eat 35-40 carbs per meal I could not drop the weight off from it. That for me was over eating so you must be counting carbs in from fruits and veggies?

I am more into 15-20 carbs per meal, max 80 a day.Difference of night and day. I am 5'3" in the 140s now for weight. I suppose exercise can offset these a bunch.

I believe your carbs per meal is high. You are right though everybody's body is different and height and weight and activity levels play a role.

kr

Heidesan replied to phototaker's response:
    Thanks for your suggestions! Is almond milk okay instead of almonds for a small smoothie?

krhudson replied to Heidesan's response:
    Not sure about soy. I drink lactose free milk such as lactaid and you can get calcium added. How would that go with your acid reflux? I cannot see why soy would be a problem. How about enough calcium in it?

I also have Oteoperosis after menopause. Make sure and get that hour of exercise in and 20 minutes if weight bearing. I eat yogarts and I take a 500 mg carmal chew by ViActive which also gives me 125% of vitiman D of daily allowence. My OBGYN says I have to get the other 500mgs of Calcium through food and dairy. We need 1000 mgs of calcium a day or 1100. I want to avoid Boniva after reading reviews and side effects. No way.

khudson

krhudson replied to krhudson's response:
    Heidesan,light on weight bearing I suppose with back problems. I would check the carton of the almond milk they use and see how the carbs and sugars are per serving and ask how many servings they use in the drink. When you look at the sugars, they are a part of the carb count (sugar amounts incl in the carbs) see how the percentage of sugars into the carbs look 13 grms sugar into 20 carb grms is high. 3 grms sugar into 15 carb grms not bad per quarter cup. in my opinion.

krhudson

Heidesan replied to krhudson's response:
    Thanks again! I'm at a normal weight, not thin. I have hypothyroidism, so maintaining my weight is difficult.
    I also have osteoporosis at a younger age which is supposed to worsen after menopause, so I'm concerned about being able to exercise at this level in the future, though it's important for many reasons. It's already painful in my back & hips. So, I appreciate the wisdom of others who have been down this road already...

betaquartz replied to krhudson's response:
    Remember when counting carbs in fruit and veggies to subtract the fiber content for the total effective carbs.

betaquartz replied to Heidesan's response:
    Almond milk works as long as you get the unsweetened.

Heidesan replied to betaquartz's response:
    Thanks! What about cereals? I was eating a whole grain, higher protein, high fiber cereal for breakfast. Is that okay or a bad idea?

phototaker replied to krhudson's response:
    Kr...I'm far from being an expert on any of this. I just go by what the original poster said, which was that she was at a good weight, not needing to lose weight.

You're right, that probably if she wanted to lose more weight, she could cut down on the carb levels. I also suggested she talk to a dietician to get the carb levels she should have for her body weight.

I was just giving an estimate of carbs, to give someone new something to aim for...they need to see how much they can handle the carb levels in their own diets. Also, some people on here lean towards a vegetarian type way of eating, too.

Some yogurts have sugar, don't they? She would have to check the carb levels on the different yogurts, going either to a plain one, or one that is lower in carbs. Since I don't eat yogurt(milk allergy), I don't know that much about them.

Heidiscan, I have oseopenia. There is a WebMD osteoporososis or bone website that is very helpful. I started on two tablets, one 600 mg taken each morning and one at night meals of calcium citrate and 1,200 of Vitamin D, with that. You should not take all your calcium at one time, as your body only absorbs so much. My friend uses the chewable one. I know there's sugar in those, so check the label. Stay away from colas, as they take calcium from the bones.

As for me, I probably don't have that many carbs at a meal, because I do want to lose weight. I do a lot of exercise, an hour a day, so I'm burning off some calories. I could stand to lose another 8 lbs. at the most for my height and body size.

krhudson replied to Heidesan's response:
    In moderation, and during the remainder of the day pick the better carbs. Not a bad idea if you can keep it to a half a cup.

krhudson

Helpful Tips

Tip for Less Severe Neuropathy Symptoms
    I was diagnosed with Type 2 over eight years ago and have been lucky enough to control my disease with weight loss, diet and exercise ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.