Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/diabetes/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Pre-diabetic
    An_202624 posted:
    Hi,
    I'm considered pre-diabetic at this point and wanted basic info. such my carbohydrate limits. What's a healthy range? I'm not overweight, exercise about an hour most days and don't eat any junk food. My main source of carbs are fruit, some whole grain starches. I'm not sure how much is too much at this point. Can someone give me some insight or point me to some clear guidelines? Thanks!

phototaker replied to Heidesan's response:
    Heidesan, I've had almond milk before, as I'm allergic to milk products as I said. I happened to just buy some recently, so...

for one cup...carbs...2 grams
    total fat- 3 grams
    sugar -none
    fiber - 1gram
    potassium 190 mg.
    protein 1 gram
    no cholesterol
    Hmmm...this might be good for Den....
    sodium though is 180...high

krhudson replied to betaquartz's response:
    Hi beta, I have no clue how to carb count fresh fruits and veggies. I suppose the only way is check on line or get the carb counting book . I have not looked at the book in a long time. When you subtract the fiber that is a good thing then?Reduces the effectivel carb content count?

kr

krhudson replied to phototaker's response:
    Also the dietitian will make calorie recommendations for her activitie and then carb count from there. A lot comes into play per person. I used to be on 2,200 calories a day or more. I did that one myself and now I bet I am at more like 1,600 calories a day. The more carbs I would eat the hungier I would get sooner. Even if I had plenty of protein, if I over did the carbs I just wanted more food in general. I was quite the porker :-)

kr

phototaker replied to krhudson's response:
    They also say KR, as we get older, we have to eat less calories to stay at a lower weight. Isn't life wonderful?

Yes. The low sugar yogarts by Yoplait has 20% calcium and Vitamin D, 85 sodium, 250 potassium, 19 carbs and 14 sugars so the carbs are indeed having a high sugar percentage which is why I only tend to eat these when ready to treadmill vigorously or if my blood sugar has dipped to 70.

The full 6 oz. yogart will raise my blood sugar about 60 points which means 70 60, I can be at 130 ok since the Lantus is kind of their to help it along and if the sugar dipped to 70, the Humalog is still a little active maybe if it is 3.5 hours after a meal in order to take me back down 10 or 20 points to near 100 for a meal.

The workout will take the 60 points off in 20 minutes it seems, I also take juice with me.

That is my yogart story.

kr

betaquartz replied to krhudson's response:
    Go one better, try plain greek yogurt, mixed berries, slivered nuts, and a little stevia, and some Ezekial cereal if you wish. Pretty damn good, and lower in moste everything but calcium.

ironman97176 replied to betaquartz's response:
    Beta, I regularly use non fat plain greek style yogurt. I add berries and ground flax to it or use this topping on oatmeal or Go Lean cereal instead of milk.

Plenty of calcium, fiber and taste!

I haven't tried slivered almonds yet though.

betaquartz replied to ironman97176's response:
    I use my mixture of nuts with the cinnamon in it along with the berries, surprisingly good, the pecans with cinnamon seem sweeter, and the other nuts get a different taste. With the berries and the greek yogurt, it could be considered a dessert.

Heidesan replied to betaquartz's response:
    Sounds great!

What's the difference b/t the greek yogurt & plain non-fat yogurt?

You are SO RIGHT. I fight this weight daily as I have gotten older. I was told 20 LBs at and beyond menopause and it will be near impossibe to get that weight off. I am proving them wrong Photo, 8 more pounds to go and trying to keep calories down etc....

kr

betaquartz replied to Heidesan's response:
    Greek yogurt has been strained, is lower in fat, and other components are different. I believe that the protein is higher. The consistency is a little less runny to me.

Heidesan replied to betaquartz's response:
    Thanks, sound good. I'll give it a try...

Heidesan replied to krhudson's response:
    Glad to hear I'm not alone with S-L-O-W & difficult weight loss and also that there is hope to lose a few lbs. I take in the minimum calories recommended & exercise everyday. I'm at the max of my weight for my height and am smaller boned, so I could definitely stand to lose 10-15 lbs.

If I ate like my husband, I'd be 500 lbs! I guess 'fair' is a weather condition, lol...

betaquartz replied to krhudson's response:
    Sorry kr, I missed your question earlier. yes you subtract the fiber from the carbs to get the effective carbs. This in fruit and veggies.
    Another way of putting this is"Read the serving size on a label and then check how many carbohydrates are in one serving size. Next, check to see if there is any fiber. If there is more than 5 grams of fiber, divide the fiber in half and subtract it from the grams of carbohydrates. This is the true reading of carbohydrates. If crackers are 19 grams of carbohydrates for one serving, and the fiber is 6 grams, subtract three from the 19 and the carbohydrates is really 16 grams.
    The same is true with sugar alcohol. If the sugar alcohols are more than 5 grams, use the same calculations to figure the true carbohydrates.
    Read more: How to Count Carbs for Diabetics | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5022072_count-carbs-diabetics.html#ixzz0tcWWOaNj

krhudson replied to betaquartz's response:
    Sound good beta. I may give it a try. I switched over to berries in the last few days and I read up on the Oxalate levels for avoiding kidney stones and Rasberries I found out are very high in Oxalate and black berries and blue berries are a little high and I have to avoid foods high in Oxalate so I went to pick up melons again which I love but darn, I like those berries and wanted change. I guess in real moderation I can have them with a large water afterwards. Kidney stones are made by Calcium and Oxalate in most cases. We all need some Oxalate and I need some Calcuim for my bones. Gee, can't win all the time.

kr

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
    Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    82 of 154 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.