Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/diabetes/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]et

Pre-diabetic
    An_202624 posted:
    Hi,
    I'm considered pre-diabetic at this point and wanted basic info. such my carbohydrate limits. What's a healthy range? I'm not overweight, exercise about an hour most days and don't eat any junk food. My main source of carbs are fruit, some whole grain starches. I'm not sure how much is too much at this point. Can someone give me some insight or point me to some clear guidelines? Thanks!

krhudson replied to betaquartz's response:
    Thanks beta. Very helpful that we can subract half the fiber from the carbs. Anything to keep that number down :-)

kr

krhudson replied to Heidesan's response:
    Heidson, Honest, I will bet I was up to 130 carbs a day. I was eating more like a guy would. I love food. I am so happy I am in control now for the first time ever. I mean real Diet control with Diabetes. I always did good but now I've got it down to a science with the exercise. I actually made time to pay attention and do this.

krhudson

betaquartz replied to Heidesan's response:
    Sorry I missed your question here. I would think the whole grain high fiber cereal in the morning would be ok, If you are taking your blood sugar you might want to test 2 hrs after eating, and before-just to double check. With the cereal subtract 1/2 of the fiber from the carbs to get your carb total.

betaquartz replied to krhudson's response:
    I think that is the big thing that I have found. Take the time to understand your dietary needs-then take time to follow them. I'm not fully compliant here, but I am getting there.

Heidesan replied to betaquartz's response:
    Thanks, I didn't know that! Learning lots here...

All my dr. said was 'cut back on the white rice'. I don't eat 'white' anything, so I was kinda lost as to what I should do to adjust my levels since I thought I was eating healthy.

krhudson replied to betaquartz's response:
    Once you understand totally what your body is going to do based on what you eat and how much activity you get it gets much easier.

The other night I had one of those huge chicken south west salads at "The Yard House" and ate half of it and brought home the other 2 servings and I did not do well on that particular south west salad since they added corn corn and more corn and beans, not baked, maybe Pinto but not to dark like kidney beans. The corn was not canned it had been cut off cobbs since the kernals were together in much of it.

Getting that to fully digest took most of yesterday and nausea to an extent and bloat. It had to be that salad I cannot think of what else. Now I know where I will not have the next southwest salad.

Just taking note of the small things means alot. Nothing worse than paying the price on whether it will raise the blood sugar or be the wrong food to cause bloat. I am glad this morning everything is back to normal and no bloat.

kr

betaquartz replied to krhudson's response:
    Yeah, the corn was a kicker. The good thing about it was that being off the cob it would have more fiber, and that slows the digestive process, the bad would be that it has a lot of sugars in it, and will go to glucose quickly. I'm usually careful with Southwestern salads, but do love them. I am also a big fan of the grilled chicken, apple and walnut salads. I have found that eating one of them for a meal is not a major BG rush as some would expect. Maybe the fact that that is the only carb I am eating? I do stay away from the salads where they candy the nuts now-thats just nuts! up goes the sugar!

An_202625 replied to phototaker's response:
    Does anyone here who has been diagnosed pre-diabetic take Byetta?

Our10kidsRgifts replied to krhudson's response:
    Great advice! Thx!

MSUphysicsFRIB replied to Heidesan's response:
    The cutting-edge doctors at Cleveland Clinic told me that people need much higher vitamin D levels than what is accepted as normal. Current "normal" levels are based off of people living in the northern hemisphere. These doctors (and numerous others) believe that the levels that you find in people closer to the equator are optimal.

They instructed me to take 5,000-10,000 IU per day.

Just thought I'd throw that in there...I was diagnosed with osteopenia at the age of 18, though I also was suffering from L-carnitine deficiency and that has a negative impact on bone health.

RealityBytes replied to MSUphysicsFRIB's response:
    Something I wanted to add about cereal. Regardless of what type you're eating, it's a pretty concentrated source of carbs, It's important to measure it, each and every time. It's so easy to over pour!

dfoelker replied to RealityBytes's response:
    There is no cereal that I can eat that doesn't spike my sugar. I don't know why-I guess the carb content, but even the healthy ones do.

RealityBytes replied to dfoelker's response:
    I'd never consider cereal an OK breakfast on its own. Only as the carb portion of a breakfast that includes as much or more protein and fat.

flutetooter replied to krhudson's response:
    To KR about carbs -- I count ALL carbs in my total for the day. This means grains (breads, cereals, pastas, rice), starchy veggies (potatoes, corn, peas, beets, beans), sweets although I seldom eat them, ALL fruits, and all the rest of the veggies including green beans, lettuce, celery, summer squash, bean sprouts, broccoli, etc.

It is surprising how much it all adds up, especially since my total of all carbs (everything that is not protein, fats, water) is only 100 or less per day, including snacks. If I have black beans or lentils, it is only 1/4 cup and the rest of the carbs for that meal are green, low density, or leafy veggies. If I have 1/3 cup cooked oatmeal for breakfast or a 5 carbs slice of bread, the rest of the meal is protein such as an omelet or salmon, with maybe mushrooms, zucchini or peppers. I also eat nuts and nut butter, olive oil, and avocados for good fats.

That is what it takes to get me under an A1c of 6.0 without meds. I do exercsie every day also.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
    Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    82 of 154 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.