Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/diabetes/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Does When You Eat What Matter?
    atti_editor posted:
    New research has found that eating protein and vegetables before carbohydrates is linked to lower blood sugar and insulin levels after the meal for those with Type 2.

Is the order in which you eat your food something you have taken into consideration? Will this change the way you eat in any way? Would love to hear your thoughts.
    Was this Helpful?
    4 of 4 found this helpful

flutetooter responded:
    I don't EVER eat fruits or starchy veggies or grains by themselves unless I want to get my blood sugar a bit high quickly. I often eat fats first, like a teaspoon of peanut butter or a slice of avocado, and then balance my carb/protein ratio to about 1 ounce of protein to about 9 grams of carb. for a snack or 2 to 3 times that much for a meal. I almost never eat potatoes, rice, breads, cereals, deserts.
    If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

1mockingbird2005 responded:
    I like to have a protein drink before a meal...it does seem to help with better numbers. ")

betatoo responded:
    What carbs? I eat eggs and bacon in the morning, then rye toast with butter. Lunch, salad or cooked stir-fry veggies and chicken with Caesar or Asian dressing. Dinner ditto or some other form of meat and veggies. Usually an apple a day, some berries, some nuts. What it all boils down to I stay away from starches or limit them. If I eat them, my numbers go up, so I don't.

flutetooter replied to 1mockingbird2005's response:
    When I am traveling and real food is temporarily not available I will sometimes have a 1/2 protein bar in place of a meal/snack not as an appetiser.
    If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

davedsel2 responded:
    My daily eating routine is usually the same per day: breakfast is eggs or Greek yogurt with whole grain or rye bread toasted with real butter, the mid-day meal is our largest consisting of protein, starch and cooked vegetables, and the evening meal is a lean protein and raw vegetables. I also try to never eat past 7:30 pm to ensure a true 12 hour fasting reading the next morning.

Since May 2014 I have lost 56 pounds, eliminated 2 diabetes medications and am only on Metformin, eliminated my high-blood pressure medication and my last HBA1C was 5.9. In May 2014 it was 9.5 and my doctor added Levemir (long-acting insulin), which was a wake-up call for me.. I actually reached my highest weight in 2003 and am down 102 pounds since then.

It is all about making the effort to make a permanent, consistent lifestyle change. I occasionally do indulge, but get right back on program. This has worked for me and can work for anyone willing to make the needed changes.
    Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

brunosbud replied to davedsel2's response:
    Dave,
    I have a question for you about Type 2 diabetes...

1. Do you believe Type 2 Diabetes is "reversible"? In other words, can you go from having T2D to no longer being diabetic?

2. Also, I recall you spoke of having diabetic neuropathy that caused you a great deal of pain. May I ask what is your status, now.

3. Finally, you've mentioned on a few occasions about an up-coming hip replacement surgery you are preparing for. Do you think it's a possibility, now, that you may avoid this procedure, entirely?

Congrats, Dave, on the weight loss. Always appreciative of your comments.

davedsel2 replied to brunosbud's response:
    Well, I think Type 2 Diabetes can be controlled with medication and lifestyle change. I've heard the term "reversed" used in relation to T2, but in order for it to stay reversed one must maintain the healthy lifestyle.

My diabetic neuropathy symptoms have been greatly improved with weight loss and lower readings. Not gone, but much better.

I had my right hip totally replaced on 6/15/15 and am recovering very nicely. I am thrilled with the results. The surgeon is planning to replace my left hip this October. I was born with osteoarthritis that has gotten worse over the years and caused serious spine and hip problems.

Thank you for your congrats and kind words. Losing weight has been the hardest thing I have ever done, but it has been so worth the effort.
    Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

betatoo replied to brunosbud's response:
    I'll take the bate on that one Bruno!

1) Yes reversible. However I will always be T2 since my lifestyle reverses and take care of the diabetes. If I were to revert to old lifestyle, in a few years I would be in trouble. By cutting the starches and replacing those calories with more non root veggies, losing weight, exercising, eating more lean meats and meat substitutes, I believe I have successfully beaten the diabetes back to a sustainable level. My last A1C was 5.3 and will continue to stay the path as in the long run I am much healthier, and the alternative is unthinkable and scares the s_)(*&t out of me!

Helpful Tips

Tip for Less Severe Neuropathy Symptoms
    I was diagnosed with Type 2 over eight years ago and have been lucky enough to control my disease with weight loss, diet and exercise ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.