Skip to content

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page:

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Includes Expert Content
    Gas after gallbladder removed
    BEN_USA posted:
    my gallbladder removed about 10 months ago.
    Life is pretty much back to normal, I feel great and I
    eat everything like before ... except I experience constant bloating and therefore a lot of odorless
    air is leaving my back part! It is affecting my social life. Where does all the air come from? Can I
    reduce the production of air with a different diet? Shall I change my digestive bacteria by eating
    pro-biotic products? Might this help? Any suggestions/tips/experiences how you handle this problem??
    Looking forward to your answers. BEN.
    Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
    There are a lot of dietary changes you can do to reduce flatulence. Here is an article on Gas and how to reduce it .
    BEN_USA replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
    Thank you very much for your answer.
    As a matter of fact the flatulence occurs as a result of the removal of my gall bladder. I never had flatulence before.
    The doctors told me by removing gall stones they had to cut the tiny muscle at the end of the bile duct. That means the gall juice enters my intestines in an uncontrolled manner.
    Is flatulence a result of too much or of too less bile juice?
    Is there anything how I can take control of the production of gall juice?
    In case there is too much gall juice that produces the gas what can i ad to my food to absorb/neutralize the gall juice so it won't lead to overproduction of gas?
    Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
    Hi Ben. Your problem is a very common one after GB surgery. Let's look at what the GB does. . Fatr cannot be dissolved in water so bile emulsifies it and then your body can absorb it. Bile also stimulates the secretion of an enzyme that breaks down fats. When you eat fat, this stimulates the gallbladder and bile is secreted. Once the GB is removed, some bile still flows into the intestine from the liver, but fat digestion is not as efficient because the bile is not concentrated, as it would have been in the GB. This inefficient system causes gas.

Here's what to do.

1) Try to avoid or minimize gas producing foods such as beans, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, brocolli, yeast containing foods such as breads and cheese.

2) These foods are better: rice, bananas, citrus, grapes, hard cheese, meat, eggs, peanut butter, non-carbonated beverges and yogurt containing live bacteria.

3) Eat smaller meals.

4) Avoid eating meals with large amounts of monounsaturated and essential fats. Eat smaller portions.

5) Chew your food well.

6) Regular exercise really helps by keeping the GI system movin' along.

7) Regular bowel movements keep the levels of gas producing bacteria low.

Let us know how you're doing and good luck. Dr Peeke
    BEN_USA replied to Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP's response:
    Pamela,Thank you so much for that very interesting information!!
    Makes a lot of sense!

I will live with that advice for the next time and will come back and tell about my experience.
    Thanks again,
    decluttergal replied to BEN_USA's response:
    how's the gas situation Ben?? Four year laters, I see:) LOL

Helpful Tips

Cut Sodas
    Simply cutting sodas will help trim your waste and keep your wallet happy! More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.