Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/digestive-health/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Mesalamine Suppositories/enemas
    arbob2 posted:
    Hi Guys: Happy Sunday. Has anyone used the mesalamine suppositories or enemas? I had this question posed to me by a new patient at my Dr.'s office Friday when I was there. The suppositories were prescribed for her in Ohio when they lived there, about a year ago, and she said they worked wonders for her. I hadn't heard of them before. I know mesalamine is the main ingredient in Lialda, Asacola, Pentasa, etc., but I'm curious. I didn't get a chance to ask my GI about it because I had a million other questions to ask him about and forgot the suppository one. I'm curious if anyone has any info. I can certainly see where it would work. Look forward to your comments. Thanks guys.

mindyj1971 responded:
    Hi there! Hope you had a nice weekend. Just wanted to let you know that I have used the suppositories that you are asking about. They are called Canasa and came in 1000 mg. I used them at night and could usually tell the difference by morning. They did seem to help me for a while. I did end up having my anal fissure surgically repaired a few weeks ago, but I think the constant diarrhea prevented it from healing while using the Canasa. I would recommend them; like I said before, they did seem to help me for a while. I had such horrible rectal pain every single day for over 9 months, so even brief relief was very welcome! Luckily, the fissure repair seems to be working for the most part. Still need to get rid of this diarrhea before it will completely heal, but at least I am not in constant pain anymore! I would definitely ask your GI about them. Good luck. Mindy

sheba_q responded:
    I know that I used a suppository one time when I had a flare up, but that was years ago and I can't remember which one it was. They can be handy when you've only got left sided colitis but it doesn't help much if you've got inflammation further up.

cook1958 responded:
    I have UC and I used them for a period of time. I found no relief and a real pain..............once you empty medicine into rectum you are in bed for the night. Also as I remember they are very expensive. Everyone is different so it is worth a try. Good luck.

arbob2 responded:
    :grin: I knew I could depend on you guys to comment on this. Thanks. I don't need them, at least not so far, but my curiosity got the best of me while in the Dr.'s waiting room. Something to think about in the future, if necessary, I guess. Gosh, there are so many things out there, isn't there? Again, thanks. I will keep them in mind. The thought of the enema thing bothers me tho. I don't think I could go along with that. Have a great day. It's raining here, but I don't let that get me down...it just means I will be a cleaning monster today! Have a good one!

rednewbie responded:
    Hi.. I wanted to let you know I use the canasa (melalamine) suppositories and I find them to work great. There has never been any leakage, and they work much faster than the anusol suppositories. I will tell you they are very expensive.. 60 of them is like $700 dollars. Its very expensive. If you have insurance I recommend you ask your doc to fill a script with use up to 2 a day, as needed with a total amount of 60. That way you can fill them and have plenty if you need them later. Good Luck.. They work well. Gin

cleandatup responded:
    My previous GI had me using the enema's for about six months. As it turned out, my gall bladder was rupturing and causing internal bleeding. The majority of the blood coming out of me was old and ugh, sooo gross smelling. Anyway, I still have a couple boxes of the enema's. When the UC bleeding started again, I used them for a week and amazingly all stopped, the sharp pains stopped. It was wonderful. Now I understand what I was trying to accomplish all those months. :smile:

arbob2 responded:
    Great responses and info here. I am having a flare, called my GI (saw him Friday and all seemed well!), and he prescribed the Rowasa enemas. Used first one last night...couldn't keep it all night, had to run to the john after 3 hours. Great start, huh? Then this morning, diarrhea started worse than ever. 6 runs this morning. Finally slowed down, then started again....bright orange!!!! I'm colorful if nothing else, I guess. But believe me, I'm afraid to keep using them. I don't think I will tonight, but I will call my GI's office first thing in the AM. Is this a normal start? And if it is, does it get better? I've been doing so well on my Lialda and trying to taper my prednisone, and now this. Are we ever given a reprieve?

cleandatup responded:
    I tried to make sure that I went to the bathroom all I could and when doing the enema's, do it very slowly and lay on the left side after. The first couple of nights were the most difficult but after that it seems to get easier. After all, a few hours of the medication being able to work is better than not being in there at all.

arbob2 responded:
    Well, my minor flare took a turn for the worse. Diarrhea was almost out of control. At any rate, I'm on Rowasa enemas. My question is (because I'm so impatient!), how many enemas does it "normally" take before a difference is apparent? I've done 3 nights so far. Not much noticeable changes, so I will, of course, continue. As I said, I'm an impatient person, and others have said the start of a remission usually starts quickly. Huh? Comments please! I appreciate your comments/help/understanding so much! Thanks.

cleandatup responded:
    To stop the diarrhea, my dr. gave me lamodal That only took about a day to kick in and I was able to go just once a day. After that, it only took another couple of days for the bleeding and sharp pains to start to subside.

arbob2 responded:
    Thanks for the info. If the diarrhea continues while I'm using the enemas, I will call my GI Doc and ask what's next. I don't have pain tho, just cramps, and since I've been on 4 Lialda a day for about 8 weeks, I have no bleeding. I'm one of the fortunate ones I guess. Again, thanks. This board is so great..we get such super information. Have a good one!

mill23 responded:
    I had the mesalamine enemas & liked them ... when I used them at night, and a steriod enema in the morning - I felt great ... still had a some bleeding though - so disease isn't in remission yet. It's bothersome though, as someone has to put the enema in for you. I'm also on Lialda 4 times/day. Recently went on a steriod (ENTOCORT EC) pill to see what happens & amazing the blood has stopped & I feel great! I have 1 week of that medicine left, so we'll see what happens ... hoping to try for baby #2 soon - so I have to stay healthy!!

arbob2 responded:
    Because my husband doesn't feel comfortable doing the enema for me, I do it myself. Its easy. I followed the directions and no problem at all. So far, no improvement, and diarrhea is worse. I have a call in to my GI Dr. now. He will probably say to stick with it for a few more days and see what happens. I think the diarrhea at first with these enemas is somewhat normal from what I've heard. We'll see. I am happy with Lialda. It has made a great difference for me. It's expensive, but worth it. I did get some free samples through the Dr. and that helps. Stay healthy for that future baby. How exciting for you. Good luck and God bless!

Helpful Tips

Water
    Drinking waer everyday keeps my digesive going. More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website