Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/digestive-health/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

colonoscopy and ileum question
    jodi2125 posted:
    I had a colonoscopy about 18 months ago. I swithced drs last month. He may want to redo the test b/c the ileum wasnt see. It doesnt say why or anything about this on the report. what reasons would there be for not seeing/reaching it on the test. Thanks jodi

Renny1985 responded:
    Hey Jodi- the ileum is where the colon and small intestine connect. It is the last point that is usually viewed during a colonoscopy. Sometimes, I think, docs just dont get there because they dont see issues along the way and therefore pull the scope out too early. Othertimes, if you have swelling/inflammation in that area, they may not be able to get the scope in. However, that would have been (or should have been) recorded in your report as that would indicate a disease. I had one scope where it wasn't viewed. I really am not sure why but those are the reasons I guessed. Also, another thing could be if you hadn't prepped fully and there was some stuff in there that inhibited the scope from going that high. It is pretty important to see the ileum as that is a common place for crohn's to be seen. Good luck Jodi. Renny

LilMissMerrySunshine responded:
    Would a capsule endoscopy make more sense? If they are going back to see something they couldn't see before - and Renny, based on what you are saying it sounds like there is a chance they wouldn't be able to see it this time - they might as well see all the intestines they can't see with a scope. Or does the way the cap works make this not work for seeing what they want to see? I'm asking the question because I really do not know the answer, but my last GI doc did a capsule because upper/lower had not shown anything, and he said this way he could see everything. (And I found the cap a MUCH easier test on my body, too.)

jodi2125 responded:
    I had a capsule already. It showed patches of mild nonspecific inflammation throughtout small bowel. also, pockets of fluid. I know the part if intestines I lost was the ileum so Im wondering if this is why he wants to do it. he said one possible cause of the anemia is small perforation at incision site... i go back the 9th so I will ask then. just wasnt sure if there would be a specufuc reason. thanks ladies -off to watch idol... jodi

Helpful Tips

Water
    Drinking waer everyday keeps my digesive going. More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website