Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/digestive-health/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Side effect from Gallbladder surgery?
    Hiccuper posted:
    I had emergency surgery to remove my gallbladder in December 2009, since then I've developed a strange case of the hiccups. They only come one at a time and in varying degrees of severity, but they are constant and embarrassing. Over the past month or two they've been becoming more and more frequent. Is this a side effect to my surgery? I keep a very healthy low, small meal diet and never consume carbonated beverages.

tamipauline responded:
    I don't know if its a side effect or not but I get the hiccups a lot too since my surgery in 2008. But I have a know on my belly button that i've had just get bigger. A doctor said it was a scar tissue blackhead and took it out, but it came right back. have you ever heard of this?

Hiccuper replied to tamipauline's response:
    I've never heard of that, although it does make some sense.

I saw my family doctor this week and brought up the hiccup issue, as they're becoming more constant everyday. She's started me on Nexium to see if it's a reaction to acid reflux, has ordered blood tests on my liver, and referred me back to my surgeon. We're hoping that something comes of this.

If nothing comes up the next step is a gastroentorologist and endoscopy.

Based on my symptoms it sounds like my phrenic nerve is causing the problem. If that ends up being the case there are anti-spasmatic drugs and surgery.

So far the Nexium hasn't made a single difference, although I've only been taking it for 2 days. Any more ideas?

Hiccuper replied to Hiccuper's response:
    The latest in the hiccup saga. My doctor is still confused. My surgeon won't see me until at least the fall, which I find incredibly annoying since this may be because of a surgery which he performed.

Blood work on liver was normal, so they sent me to check out my kidney function. That was a week ago, so I'm assuming those tests came back as normal also. Had a chest x-ray, but again it's been a week and still haven't heard anything. The nexium had no effect at all, so now we know that it's not caused by GERD.

If anyone knows of anything that will help, please let me know. My next trip to the doctor is at the beginning of September and I have a feeling there will be more blood test, possibly some other testing.

Helpful Tips

Have you tried better toilet posture?
    There is a great new product on the market aimed at improving colon health by correcting the anorectal angle and making elimination easier ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website