Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/digestive-health/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

OLIVE OIL RELIEF FOR UC...
    OliveOyl1234 posted:
    Dear fellow UC sufferers: I am a fellow sufferer for over 30 years, having gotten ulcerative colitis in my early teens. My life has been, how can I put one it: one long suffering black hole. I stumbled upon a treatment which has changed my life: Olive Oil. Every night without fail I fill an 60cc enema bottle with half olive oil and half Rowasa. For several nights, my colitis remained uneffected, however, by the third, fourth night the bleeding had ceased and my bowels had opened up (excuse the graphic language). Contents of the enema are contained overnight. In the beginning I mixed in to the enema bottle two/three capsules of probiotics and goldenseal (tincture/herb) but had concluded that the Olive Oil/Rowasa mix worked just fine alone. If I can express my gratitude to this miracle concoction it wouldn't be enough. I don't know what olive oil does to alleviate colitis but I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. My life is now my own and believe me I tried everything (except Remicade), which I refused to take on any condition. I used every natural remedy known and unknown to mankind. (I do watch my diet -- but have done so for most of my life anyway; diet alone was never a cure all for me.) I had already paid a visit to two surgeons in NYC for the surgical removal of my colon -- it was that bad. With a surgery date in hand, I was this close to marching off to Cornell-New York Hospital. One Note: Once a week just to eliminate any small signs of inflammation I use a hydrocortisone enema. To think that the cure was in my pantry all along! My best to all! Olive Oyl

parksideguy responded:
    Sorry, what is Rowasa? And when you say your bowels opened up, are you referring that you had normal, good sized movements? Mine are mostly mushy strings. Small and thin. Congrats by the way?

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
    What does your doctor think of this regimen? How has this affected your cholesterol levels? Olive Oil in small amounts is good for cholesterol, but it can be as bad as any other fat in larger amounts.

OliveOyl1234 responded:
    Sorry to get back to you at such a late date. Rowasa is asacol (Mesalamine) in enema form, used for UC patients. In answer to your second question: yes my bowels are normal good-sized movements since the inside lining of the rectal area is healed by use of olive oil. Although like yours mine were stringy or even non-existant for days. But I must say that as most people I have good and bad days. I'd reckon that before using olive oil perhaps 1 day out of the month were good; today 29 days out of the month are good. I also try to eat properly. My diet is without lactose, sugar and wheat although now that my health has improved significantly I am introducing these ingredients back into my diet -- however, I am very cautious in their use. I also take vitamins however found real relief took hold after using the olive oil/Rowassa mixture. All the best to you for good health. Best wishes, Olive Oyl

OliveOyl1234 responded:
    Dear Louise, Sorry to get back to you at such a late date. I have yet to inform my doctor since I now rarely see him. However, that being said, my doctor is extremely open minded to alternative methods of healing. In fact now that you remind me I need to make an appointment to tell him how well I am faring with this regiment. Since the olive oil is inserted into the rectal area there is no effect on cholesterol levels. The rectal area is impenetrable to the large molecules found in olive oil, as you are well aware. In fact, I always have had perfect cholesterol levels all my life without a blip up even after using the olive oil regiment. In fact I know of a gentleman -- a first responder -- caught up in 911 World Trade Center disaster who developed severe colitis. Now, he drinks 1/2 cup of olive oil daily to relieve his symptoms; it works magnificantly! No more problems. Here's my response to I the question from Parksideguy: "Rowasa is asacol (Mesalamine) in enema form, used for UC patients. In answer to your second question: yes my bowels are normal good-sized movements since the inside lining of the rectal area is healed by use of olive oil. Although like yours mine were stringy or even non-existent for days. But I must say that as most people I have good and bad days. I'd reckon that before using olive oil perhaps 1 day out of the month were good; today 29 days out of the month are good. I also try to eat properly. My diet is without lactose, sugar and wheat although now that my health has improved significantly I am introducing these ingredients back into my diet -- however, I am very cautious in their use. I also take vitamins however found real relief took hold after using the olive oil/Rowassa mixture." All the best to you for good health. Best wishes, Olive Oyl

eenn23 responded:
    Hi, OliveOyl1234 I also live in NYC. I've had ulcerative colitis since Jan 2007 and currently have no gastroenterologist. Would you recommend your doctor? If so, can you tell me where he/she is located? My last doctor gave me entocort which is for your small intestine and I had my inflammation on my large intestine. I ended up having a fever for 5 days straight after I went to the ER and they told me to stop taking entocort and explained to me what it was really for. Also how did you figure out that olive oil was good for colitis?

We ask that members do not recommend doctors on our message boards. If you could leave an email address where you can be reached, that is the best way to handle this sort of question. I recommend a disposable email address like Yahoo or Hotmail for your privacy.

Chattie1955 responded:
    My Dad has UC back in the 1940's and he was bedridden at times. Mayo Clinic back then told my Mom to use a funnel and pour in olive oil and he had to hold it in over night. She thought it actually helped.

We have a member who stops by sometimes who used olive oil combined with Rowasa enemas to treat UC or Crohn's successfully. I haven't seen any scientific proof suggesting it.

Helpful Tips

Water
    Drinking waer everyday keeps my digesive going. More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website