Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/digestive-health/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

GERD in infants
    Nanna0805 posted:
    My 4 month old grand-daughter has been diagnosed with GERD. After having her formula changed several times and being put on Tagamet, it has not gotten better. My daughter took her to another physician and that physician told her that her 'valve' wasn't closing like it was supposed to, but she would grow out of it by 6 months. She will be 5 months in a couple of weeks and it seems to be getting worse. Of note, she had some lab work drawn the other night and her alkaline phosphatase was 413, the normal was around 130. Could this be a sign of some type of biliary problem?

CalGal37 responded:
    Raised liver function values can signal a liver or biliary problem. You should follow-up on that. Is there any possibility of celiac disease? It's a great 'mimic' of GERD-like symptoms and in some babies it can be mistaken for GERD. Anyone in the family with food intolerance issues that resemble celiac but no diagnosis? You may want to consider blood testing that includes gene (allele) checking for celiac.

Nanna0805 responded:
    Thank you for the information. I will get my daughter to follow up with this.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
    Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    70 of 128 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website