Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Help please seizure vs spasm
    catzrule posted:
    Hi my partner had a stroke 14 years ago was diagnosed with seizure disorder in July 2012. After having many seizures a day for the last 5 months they did an EEG. preliminary reports says they are not seizures with brain activity but spasms. Why if they are spasms do they resemble grand mal seizures with slurred speech and violent convulsing of entire body? I don't understand and am desperate for help. Since I am not legally family (same sex partner) I am not priviledge to dr. information at this time. Even though my partner has given permission for me to know everything. Help anyone?????
    dancer86442 responded:
    Hello Cat,

    Your partner May be experiencing what is known as PNES. Psuedo or Psychogenic Seizures. They can mimic several seizures related to Epilepsy. Medication will Not help control her Episodes. For more info please visit

    Dr Info: Don't sweat it. A Lot of what you need/want to know is just a Mouse Clik away on your Computer. Educate yourself about All aspects of Epilepsy, including treatments & alternative treatments. Treatment for your partner will most likely consist of a Neuro-psych or Counselor & maybe Anti-depressants or other Anxiety meds. PNES is mainly triggered by Stress.

    I do find it Unusual that they noted Any activity on her EEG. PNES usually shows Nothing. So, my suggestion to you & your partner: Chek out Tips & read about Journals & Start keeping one. If you have a video cam or phone keep it charged & ready! Definitely seek an Epileptologist (seizure Specialist) & get another Opinion! It is Possible to have EP & PNES. Please have the Drs schedule your partner for Heart/stroke related tests, too. The tests could be a Vital Clue, Especially the Arteries test! If you read the new post below this you will understand Why!

    Keep in mind, you & your partner are not Alone. I will be here for you. Keep asking questions & Please keep us updated. Know I care! HUGS!

    Love Candi
    catzrule replied to dancer86442's response:
    She did have a stroke 15 years ago. I will definately look up the PNES. We have been keeping a video and written journal. The stroke was left side and she is partially right side paralyzed. Thank you for your response, it is greatly appreciated.
    dancer86442 replied to catzrule's response:
    Sounds like you are on top of things. If you have any questions, concerns or just want to vent, Know I will be Listening! HUGS!
    catzrule replied to dancer86442's response:
    I do think it is PNES we both looked it up and agree that it sounds just like what she is experiencing. Next neurologist appt. we will be talking about that and the results of the EEG. the neurologist did not get back to us with the results, we learned the prelim report from her pcp, I am so frustrated with this particular dr. we are going to try for a second opinion.
    Thank you so much
    hugs for you Candi
    dancer86442 replied to catzrule's response:
    Hi Cat, Use Phylis site & see if she has any DR/epileptologist in your area.

    Love Candi & Thank You for the Hugs!

    Helpful Tips

    Want to read "discussions" only?
    Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    19 of 29 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center