Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/brain-nervous-system-disorder/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Concussion related epilepsy
    Wiggy50 posted:
    Did or can my concussion related epilepsy heal? I was diagnosed with epilepsy after my secon concussion. My first, I collapsed from exhaustion and hit my head, the doctors told me I had the concussion from hitting my head and not from collapsing. Had another seizure a year later after boxing and getting knocked around, had the seizure in my sleep. Went to a neurologist and told me my epilepsy was from a brain injury from a concussions. He put around a time when I played football. Two years later all my symptoms and problems have disappeared no headaches or migraines, no jerking limbs, no light headed ness out of nowhere, and no more problems with zoning out all the time. I am wondering if my injury has healed or healed enough that my epilepsy is gone.

dancer86442 responded:
    Good Morning Wiggy,

Question...Are you on any anti-epilepsy drug?

Problem...Seizures don't discriminate as to When or how often they will occur. Minutes, hrs, days, weeks, yrs later.

But, Researcher says if you are seizure free for 2 yrs, you Can ask your doc to wean you off meds for a trial period. Doc may want to runn tests, once again, b4 doing so. My niece was born w/ a traumatic head blow. She suffered a concussion when her Mom fell across a bed. She was diagnosed a week or 2 later & prescribed Phenobarbital. She was weaned off Phenobarbital when she had been seizure free for 6 mths. So Far, she has had no more seizures. As for me, I, too, had a traumatic head blow. Clik on my ID to read my Journey. An update....Last week I was diagnosed w/ Another seizure Type. Complex Partials. But, my doc did not increase my meds, so, I am just taking it one day at a time. I keep a Journal. Please, read Journal info in Helpful Tips. There are apps on some cell phones that make journals easier.

Plus, did you know we now have a SmartWatch that can detect signs of a seizure?

I wish I Could say you are Healed. But, seriously, only Time will tell! I, personally, can't even miss a med. or 2 w/out a seizure. But, my seizures are genetic, also.

If you have a Facebook acct. there are Traumatic Brain Injury Pages & support groups. I hope this Helps. I hope you respond to let me know if it did. Hugs Know I Care.

Love from Candi & family
    International Awareness Day: Second Monday of Feb. March 26: Purple Day, November: Epilepsy Awareness Month. Wear Purple to show Support. Advocate

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
    Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    19 of 29 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center