Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/brain-nervous-system-disorder/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

anxiety and epilepsy
    Bondel77 posted:
    Hello, My husband was recently diagnosed with epilepsy. His seizures are caused by sleep deprivation. He has sleep apnea as well. So when he doesn't sleep with his machine, he is not getting enough oxygen to his brain. He suffers greatly from anxiety even before he was diagnosed. Is this common in epileptics? He is currently taking Pristiq. It's working a little. Does anyone else have any other recommendations for general anxiety? It makes him very irritable. He describes it as a racing feeling in his chest and generally worried with pop up thoughts.

saxofone1 responded:
    Welcome Bondel,

I've had complex partial ep since the spring of '75. I have often found that a simply acitivity such as walking, meditation, doing puzzles,etc has often eased stress for me. Listening to jazz or classical music has also put me in a relaxed state.

Somewhere in the 70s, I was put on Mysoline for a short time. I say "short" because it caused me to have mood swings. One moment I was peaceful then w/o warning the "Mr Hyde" side showed up. Some meds are known to be able to cause mood swings. Please discuss this, if you haven't already, with his doctor. Do you see a common time when this agitation occurs i.e when wakening, before his 1st daily dosage, nighttime, foods, etc.

I hope someone who is more familiar with the meds and sleep apnea answers you soon. Oh yeah, discuss this concern with the pharmacist. Hang in there.

angie

Has your husband's med level been tested recently?

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
    Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    19 of 29 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center