Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Includes Expert Content
    What's wrong with my eye?
    fhsd94 posted:
    I don't know if i'm a hypochondriac or if i have an underlying health problem that i don't know about, because every month i have a new symptom and this month it's my eye. I'm 18 years old and two days ago, while on my phone, my left eye started having these painful spasm-like throbs, then two hours later it was bulging! Not a lot but it's noticeable. I woke up the next morning and it was still the same, but it isn't red or itchy, I can push on it and it moves a lot but doesn't hurt. My right eye looks completely normal but my left one looks all puffy and sticks out more than it ususally does. It was fine all day on friday, but when i got home, took off my mascara and watched tv that's when it started. It also has a dull, foggy feel to it and when i look around my eyelid feels somewhat heavy. I don't know if i have something wrong with my thyroid because it runs in my family a lot, and i have weird symptoms like excessive mucous, hair shedding, fast heartbeat, bad headaches, cracking/stiff/sore neck, shortness of breath, and stomach bloating. All of these symptoms have been going on for a whole year but every doctor i go to say that is stress.... PLEASE HELP...
    Alan M Kozarsky, MD responded:
    Yes, a bulging eye (exophthalmos) can be associated with thyroid issues. However, this generally happens very slowly and without sudden symptoms.

    You symptoms are unusual enough that I'm not going to take a serious try at cyber diagnosis. Instead, if the symptoms persist you should see an ophthalmologist for a complete exam and diagnosis/treatment.

    Featuring Experts

    Alan Kozarsky, MD, is one of the leading corneal, cataract, and vision correction specialists in the country and was selected again this year by Atla...More

    Helpful Tips

    46 yr old female diagnosed with punder my pink eye
    there is a lump on the inside of my left eyes it almost looks like a big pimple or cyst..i went to a walk in and they told me it was pink ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.