Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

    Includes Expert Content
    Eyes laser surgery. I need your opinion.
    Calixtoacevedo posted:
    I'm 55 years old, need reading glasses 1.75 to see well from near. From far I'm 20/20 . No problem. Do I really need surgery? What are the side effect on long and short run? Please , Need Advise.
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 2 found this helpful
    Alan M Kozarsky, MD responded:
    Being able to see distance well without glasses but needing glasses for reading is a very common situation. It is called presbyopia.

    If you want to become less dependent on the reading glasses, you need to see your eye doctor and try a contact lens on one eye which will allow that eye to read without glasses. The other eye will continue to see well at distance. This is called monovision.

    If you love monovision, then you can either continue with the contact lens or consider LASIK surgery on that eye to provide the same benefit.

    It is very important to try this with a contact before making a LASIK surgical decision.

    Featuring Experts

    Alan Kozarsky, MD, is one of the leading corneal, cataract, and vision correction specialists in the country and was selected again this year by Atla...More

    Helpful Tips

    blurry eyes
    sometimes I experience blurred eyesight and shaking of my lower eye. do I have astigmatism and do I need to go to an eye doctor? More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.