Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1.Head over to this page:

    2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    My 8 year old son has been on medication for about 3 years now for ADHD and ODD
    katiekat413 posted:
    He has been on Concerta this entire time with occasional increases. He is presently taking 56 mg of Concerta. He has also been on 15 mg of Abilify for about 6 months. During this 6 months he has been suspended from school about a dozen times and he seems to talk of hurting himself more frequently than I ever remember him doing. I am wondering if this could be the Abilify. Has anyone out there who has a child on Abilify notice it affecting the child in a negative way??

    Take the Poll

    Has anyone out there who has a child on Abilify notice it affecting the child in a negative way??
    • Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    View Poll Results
    momuv4girls responded:
    Medication is very individual - what works great for one child, may be a disaster for the next child.

    My daughter was on Abilify for 2-months, and it was a disaster for her.....she was more anxious, more irritable, and became very angry.

    It is very important to take note when a child becomes worse on a medication, especially when he talks of self-harm.

    I would call his Psychiatrist today, and schedule an appt. ASAP to discuss other med options.

    Take care,
    BPdadof3bp replied to momuv4girls's response:
    I agree. It varies by child. Genetics play a part (if you are BP and something works for you odds are it will work for your children). As I always say, you ned to find the right Dr. A specialist in children with BP. It makes all the difference.

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    Sister of a 9 year old and 14 year old, all suffering from anxiety. Just something that runs in the family. I'm just trying to get connected with ...More

    Helpful Tips

    Your healthcare provider is the best person to diagnose postpartum depression and to help you with finding some treatment. Mahendra ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    3 of 3 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.