Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/fibromyalgia/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Lexapro or Cymbalta
    Fibrogee posted:
    I was recently diagnosed with FM. My doctor wants to change me from Lexapro to Cymbalta. I have been on Lexapro for 8 years and have been doing fine with it. Any idea why she might want to switch this now? Is Cymbalta supposed to be better fo FM?

TCL38 responded:
    Kathy, Did you ask your doctor? Doctor's are not the enemy. We have to be able to talk to them or we're not going to get the help we need. And they may even do things that are harmful if we don't learn to communicate. I don't think any of us can answer your question Kathy but I bet your doctor can. Tanya

fibroinsd responded:
    I take Cymbalta and I am pretty happy with it. It is suppose to be one of the main meds for FM. However, if you are happy with Lexapro..I am not sure why he wants you to change. Some people take that. cece

CORYSGIRL30 responded:
    I was on Cymbalta at one point. I could not hold up my head. Whites of my eyes were red(not bloodshot) due to increased pressure on the brain. Had daily migraine for 2.5 months. In my opinion, worst stuff ever. But that's just me. Be careful if you do switch.

BamaNik responded:
    Lexapro is an SSRI while Cymbalta is an SNRI. (Savella is an SNRI as well.) An SSRI is a selective seretonin reuptake inhibitor while an SNRI is a seretonin/norepinephine reuptake inhibitor. The norepinephine is supposed to help with pain

imouse responded:
    :smile: Lexapro was what I was on for 6 years. Never had a bad day with it. I tried to switch to Cymbalta because of insurance issues, it didn't work out for me. I hated it. I went right back to Lexapro with my doctor taking on the insurance company for me. If you can stay on it, and it works well for you, stay the course. Linda R.

yogamama7 responded:
    KAthy! I was on CYmbalta for a few months and all it did for me was pile on more weight. I am on Savella, and I love it. The best FM med I have ever been on. I would ask the doc why he wants you to switch - if Lexapro is doing the job, I would be leery of trying anything else. If you start it - please be aware of side effects and if anything starts - come off it. Julie (Corysgirl) had such a hard time, I don't want to see anyone else go through that. He may just want to try a drug approved for FM - Lyrica, Cymbalta and Savella are the only ones for specific use for FM. I tried Lyrica too, but it also piled on the weight - Savella is weight neutral - and that is where I am right now - not much loss - but at least no gain! :eek: Hugs,

suzie_w3 responded:
    Hi Kathy, This is only my 2 cents. As was said already, these are two different drugs. I took Lexapro for 2 years after a car accident. When I was Dx'd with FMS the doctor switched me to Cymbalta. He said nothing about side effects but as a former pharm tech I also look. I took Cymbalta and had the worst migraine and vomited non-stop until it wore off. I then waited a few days thinking maybe I had a real migraine. I then took it for three days. Things went really bad and I ended up in ER for fluids as I was dehydrated. When I went back to doc he said not everyone can take it and I was one of them. He found it quite often and thought some day they would get some of the side effects under control. He was not surprised at all. This does NOT mean you will have same effects as many can take it. Ask questions. Go to their website. Good Luck, Suzie

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
    Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    489 of 564 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.