Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

    What is the best type of doctor to see?
    1_Memphis_Belle posted:
    I had a General Practitioner tell me years ago (before Fibro was so much in the news and such) that I had Fibro. I was young and in college, and sort of recognized having heard the word before, but didn't pay much attention at the time.

    As the years have passed, my symptoms have gotten worse. I have had an Neurolgist tell me I have "FM-like symptoms" and proceeded to concentrate on my headaches without adressing the FM. I had an Internist tell me I had FM and Chronic Fatigue symptoms, and that I would just "feel like crap." (He then proceeded to dump me off on the afore-mentioned Neurologist.)

    I was so fed up with these 2 and a couple of other docs, that I completely quit going to doctors - I had no faith or trust left. Now, I seem to be reaching the limits of the pain and illness that I can tolerate by myself.

    My question: what kind of doc is best for FM? Rheumatologist? Pain Management? Neurolgist? Other?

    I appreciate anyone's advice. (Oh, and if you know of a great doc in Memphis, please let me know!)
    dollbug responded:
    Hello and just depends.....but you do need a doctor who treats FM.....and if I were you....I would call around and ask if they have a doctor before you make your appointment.....

    We are not allowed to actually provide names of doctors here....(rules of WebMD)....but you might want to check our the National Fibromyalgia Association under Resources to the right of this page.....I think you can probably locate a doctor on this website....

    I would also encourage you to ask the doctor to check your Vitamin D low Vitamin D can cause pain within itself....

    You might also check out the info under Tips too....especially the member toolbox....where you can find some good "tools and tips" to try.....that might help you...

    We are all different though and what helps one may or may not help takes a trial and error process....which does take time and have to allow at least 6-8 weeks on anything that you there are no quick fixes to finding relief.....

    I am sure that you will find something that will help you also....I have learned how to "control my FM pain" by taking vitamins and supplements....

    Take care and good luck..

    IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..
    Grampa_Bear responded:
    Hi MB,

    Don't think we've run into each other before, so WELCOME!!

    The best doc? The one who takes you seriously, and is willing to help you treat your symptoms. Remember, you and your doc are a team...if only one of you are working on the problem, then it takes way more effort...and energy is something that us with FM are in short supply of.

    If your doc isn't willing to be helpful....then he/she is FIRED! They work for YOU, not the other way around.

    Good luck and keep us posted on how you do.

    Bringing Faith to the Doubtful, Doubt to the Faithful, Comfort to the Afflicted, Affliction to the Comfortable and Funk to the Funkless.
    katmandulou responded:
    Your best doc is the one who treats YOU, and not just your symptoms the he/she understands. I see a rheumatologist who specializes in FM. He's been a godsend; sorry but he's in southeastern MA. 8-(

    Ask at your local hospital or clinic. Someone should be able to give you a name or two of docs in your area who can treat YOU.

    Good luck!
    pnaturegirl responded:
    Many say Rheumy and many say Neuro but I say hogwash!

    It is not so much a specialist but a doc who listens and understand you!

    My family doc is better than any specialist and belive me, I have been to to many!
    Check out my facebook page called, This Crazy Thing Called Pots My new Exchange on WebMd called, Pots and Dysautonomia Exchange and you can always find me here on FM Exchange or through my email!
    1_Memphis_Belle replied to pnaturegirl's response:
    Thanks to all who have responded! Someone mentioned above that I should check the National Fibromyalgia Foundation for a doc - have done that, and there is no one listed here.

    The Gen. Practitioner I had many many years ago (the one that 1st mentioned the FM) was the best doc I have ever had. Unfortunately he closed his practice. I had another great doc for a few years who was very caring and responsive, until he wasn't anymore. (I think he just didn't know what else to do with me.) I would still probably be seeing him if he hadn't stopped accepting insurance and switched to a retainer system (definitely could NOT afford him after that!)

    I agree that the best doc is the one that listens, cares, is proactive, thinks outside of the box, etc, but my experience has been that this almost mythological being is impossible to find. I have fired many a doc, too many, and I am just worn down now.

    I guess my question was more from a standpoint of: which specialty (if any) is most likely to recognize and be willing to treat this insane condition/disease/syndrome/whatever?

    I just dread (and fear, if I may be honest) the process of finding a new doctor. I almost feel worse mentally and physically when spinning my wheels and getting nowhere with people that are uncaring and/or dismissive. Being told to buck up and get used to feeling like crap is disheartening to say the the way, I absolutely never went back to that guy.

    Anyway, thanks to all for the welcome, and I am sorry to have ranted or whined. I am like everyone here, I guess: sick and tired of feeling sick and tired!

    Thanks again!
    benright replied to 1_Memphis_Belle's response:
    Memphis Belle,

    I use a PCP (primary care) for most everything. She did recommend me to a RA doc that I see every 3 months. I love my PCP (sorry, in Iowa). She has other patients with FM (and I live in a really small town), so she knows who to send them off to for a second opinion.

    You sound like you have had some good luck with PCPs in the past, I think you should find a new one of them that you like and trust. Then, if they feel the need, they can recommend a specialist for you. I'm sure that you can find a good doc in Memphis! Best of luck in your search.

    Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
    icyhotmama responded:
    If you go to website you will find lots of info.
    I think that is right,

    lorip123 replied to 1_Memphis_Belle's response:
    This is EXACTLY how I feel! I don't know where to turn and it tires me out and makes me sicker just trying to figure it out. I can't work,
    I have what several doctors called Fibro Fog (I thought it was age). I've been pawned off, I've gone to a different city, and a different state.
    I don't know what type of Dr. does specialize in this. I do know that it is listed on the Disability web site as a disease they accept in order to declare you disabled. Of course even though I've been diagnosed, I would imagine you need either a certain type of Dr. or an actively treating Dr.
    Tired me out just typing and thinking that. I'm wondering since it's been awhile since you posted this, if you've found anything more out and how you're doing now?

    If you see this, please let me know. Thanks!
    missist replied to icyhotmama's response:
    Hi.. just chiming in.
    I think the main thing is-- while specialist 'should' be able to treat you well-- as most of us have found out- that doesn't mean they will or can.

    It really is not a question of finding the right specialist. What you need is a dr who is patient and Listens & then you need to do a lot of research and trial and error on your own part--so you can bring that dr suggestions or tell him/her what you are trying. (supplements, excercise ideas, anything else)

    You need someone who will work WITH you. That's the thing I'm trying to find too. I had one, but sadly she is too far away now. So I'm trying a new one this month and the first thing I'm going to do when I meet her is say--look--I have a multitude of chronic issues that change sometimes, and I often feel as if I am playing wack a mole with symptoms. I need to know if I can talk to you about new approaches if you can help me and let me be part of the team of helping me. I'm not looking for a cure anymore--but I would like to have a reasonably good life--and I don't want someone who treats one symptom and forgets everything else. I also don't want my therapies to be all just drugs til I end up with some may drugs in me that I don't know which one does what anymore.

    Anyhow-- something like that.

    Its hard, its frustrating, and I don't know I am afraid with the new healthcare law we'll have a lot less options as I think we'll see more of drs telling us what the 'protocal' is and just give us that and nothing else if it doesn't work. So I'm really looking at alternatives to normal health care.

    The dr I will see this time is an osteopath. But in a medical clinic--so I'm hoping to see if there are some new ideas.

    hope that' makes sense. Also -- pray.
    I will pray for you, Mary

    Helpful Tips

    Living Well with Fibromyalgia
    Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    205 of 222 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.