Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/fibromyalgia/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Fibromyalgia pain
    mnstrek4u posted:
    I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. Why the sudden sharp, burning pain with knots on my spine. The cold weather made it so much worse. I've been poked and prodded a million times over the last 2 months. The neurologist is doing a EMG/NCS soon. Guess they want to rule out everything else before saying what it really is....I feel like the pain will never stop. I can't sleep, or get comfortable at all. Does it get better? Does meds help?

dollbug responded:
    Hello and welcome. MiMi in NC. I wish I could say that it does get better.....BUT I am not sure that it does. I will say this though that there are *tools and tips* which will allow you to learn how to cope better with the pain. The doctors do want to rule out any other *issues* which might be causing your health issues and they do this for our benefit as well. I would say that for the most part in the beginning it is like we are on a roller coaster....and then it so turns into a vicious cycle. So you have to find what helps ease the pain. A good thing to do in the beginning is to keep a journal of sorts....keeping track of what you eat, take and what you do as well and try to figure out what increases the pain. I know the journal might not sound like something you want to do.....BUT it just might give you some things to think about.

Getting enough sleep is really important to us FMers....as this is when our body tries to repair itself.
    This is not always an easy issue to figure out though.

Eating right and drinking lots of water might also help you too. Our body needs a lot of water.

Has your doctor checked your Vitamin D level yet? IF not, then I would be sure and ASK that the test be done so you can know whether or not your Vitamin D is low. (this seems to be common in lots of people these days and especially those of us who suffer from chronic illnesses) Low Vitamin D can cause some people to have additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well. I do encourage you to do your own research about Vitamin D. (You can find lots of good info right here)

Some of us FMers have tried medicines and perhaps they have worked for a while but some of us did not find any of the medicines to really make a difference. What works for one person may or may not work for you....we are all different.

Have you tried using a heating pad yet? This is something I use daily. I have found that putting it on the back of my neck area seems to help ease my pain, no matter where the pain might be.

Taking a hot shower at night using lavender bath salts (in a stopped up drain) might also help you to relax so that you can sleep better.

You might also try using some Stopain Spray on places where you can NOT seem to get any relief. Stopain can be found at Walmart for around $9 or so. (sometimes you can find coupons on it as well).

OK....I hope you will figure out what is going on with you and I hope that you will find something that will help you cope better.

Learning how to pace is a good thing to practice also. This is not an easy thing to do though....but eventually you will know when you have crossed your line.

Take care and I hope you will continue to post.

MiMi
    PRAY FOR PEACE and leave the rest to GOD....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

dollbug responded:
    Hello and welcome. MiMi in NC. I wish I could say that it does get better.....BUT I am not sure that it does. I will say this though that there are *tools and tips* which will allow you to learn how to cope better with the pain. The doctors do want to rule out any other *issues* which might be causing your health issues and they do this for our benefit as well. I would say that for the most part in the beginning it is like we are on a roller coaster....and then it so turns into a vicious cycle. So you have to find what helps ease the pain. A good thing to do in the beginning is to keep a journal of sorts....keeping track of what you eat, take and what you do as well and try to figure out what increases the pain. I know the journal might not sound like something you want to do.....BUT it just might give you some things to think about.

Getting enough sleep is really important to us FMers....as this is when our body tries to repair itself.
    This is not always an easy issue to figure out though.

Eating right and drinking lots of water might also help you too. Our body needs a lot of water.

Has your doctor checked your Vitamin D level yet? IF not, then I would be sure and ASK that the test be done so you can know whether or not your Vitamin D is low. (this seems to be common in lots of people these days and especially those of us who suffer from chronic illnesses) Low Vitamin D can cause some people to have additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well. I do encourage you to do your own research about Vitamin D. (You can find lots of good info right here)

Some of us FMers have tried medicines and perhaps they have worked for a while but some of us did not find any of the medicines to really make a difference. What works for one person may or may not work for you....we are all different.

Have you tried using a heating pad yet? This is something I use daily. I have found that putting it on the back of my neck area seems to help ease my pain, no matter where the pain might be.

Taking a hot shower at night using lavender bath salts (in a stopped up drain) might also help you to relax so that you can sleep better.

You might also try using some Stopain Spray on places where you can NOT seem to get any relief. Stopain can be found at Walmart for around $9 or so. (sometimes you can find coupons on it as well).

OK....I hope you will figure out what is going on with you and I hope that you will find something that will help you cope better.

Learning how to pace is a good thing to practice also. This is not an easy thing to do though....but eventually you will know when you have crossed your line.

Take care and I hope you will continue to post.

MiMi
    PRAY FOR PEACE and leave the rest to GOD....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

rudyandirmouse responded:
    Mnstrek4u, I to wish I could tell you it gets better. But sadly for fibromyalgia sufferers It Does Not.There is a lot out there now to help us with our symptoms and help us get through flare ups, but no, once the nerve endings are damaged, their damaged for good.But as I said there is so much out there for us.

I have had the Dx for over 30 years and have watched the medical community acknowledge Fibromyalgia as being a real medical condition, causing other medical conditions. This has been so important because up until the past decade or so a lot in the medical community didn't believe fibro sufferers were real.

Please come back and visit often. Use the tool Box and helpful RESOURCES to see things and treatments that might make your flare up less painful or bothersome.

Gentle Hugs, Linda R

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
    Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    205 of 222 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.