Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/fibromyalgia/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Have you been misdiagnosed?
    donotgiveup posted:
    I was misdiagnosed as having fibromyalgia and clinical depression, when in fact I had thyroid disease (Graves disease). I also discovered that I had a Vitamin D deficiency. If you have pain in your shoulders or shoulder blades, you could have gallstones and may have to have your gallbladder removed. Also, rule out Lyme disease, which could be misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia.

I can tell you from personal experience that if a doctor can't give you a diagnosis for your chronic pain, they will diagnose fibromyalgia. I have also experienced that some doctors don't believe in fibromyalgia, and some blame fibromyalgia when they can't find any other problem. I am NOT at all saying that fibromyalgia does not exist. If you are having symptoms of any kind, please report your symptoms to you Doctor. In my particular case I was misdiagnosed, and have been told that the same has happened to other people. I lost years of my life being misdiagnosed, and I don't want that to happen to you.
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

lml7221 responded:
    Hello there!

I definitely understand the frustration. It took about 8 months for me to get a diagnosis and I basically told my doc, "I think I have FM" - basically all they did was agree.

It's not just about misdiagnosis, but the diagnosis of Fibromyalgia in general, is an empty diagnosis. It literally means nothing. There's no information about Fibromyalgia other than it's symptoms. That's ALL doctors know about FM, is the long laundry list of possible symptoms - widespread pain, brain fog, sleep problems, IBS, etc - that is ALL THEY KNOW. The DO NOT know what causes all of those symptoms, they DO NOT know how to get rid of them, or even manage them, they DO NOT know which symptoms are most severe. They literally know nothing about this condition. I put little to no faith in doctors, especially primary doctors. They study MEDICINE. They study what medicine's help what symptoms. That's the type of information they know. They do not study PAIN, they do not study severe symptoms (like depression, or chronic IBS, those are serious conditions and they are not experts in treating them anyway), they study MEDICINE and try to use medicine to downplay our symptoms. The problem with that is this...treating our symptoms does not eliminate the source of the problem! And some medications they give us damage the source of the problem further!

I've been doing Acupuncture treatments for quite some time now. I've learned from Acupuncture that the SOURCE of about 80% of my symptoms is my intestines!! WHO KNEW?! (I'll tell ya who doesn't know that, DOCTORS). After one visit with my Acupuncturist he KNEW right away that I had Inflamed Intestines and that it was causing many of my symptoms - such as sleep issues, my IBS, my depression, head/neck/jaw tension, fatigue, and brain fog. And the medication I was on (Gabapentin and Cymbalta) are known to damage intestines further!

After 1 treatment - 10 needles for about 10 minutes - a HUGE amount of my pain was gone!! I instantly had energy, I had a glowing smile on my face, I cried tears of joy because something truly WORKED and got got rid of my symptoms! And not just 'got rid of,' it actually felt as though some of my symptoms were being REVERSED! Such as places that were weak, it felt as though STRENGTH AND ENERGY were being put back into those places! It truly is amazing! I have been getting Acupuncture treatments done for quite some time now and I've have incredible results in reducing all of my symptoms. If you want to learn more about Acupuncture treatments and how to get started, just let me know! I'd be more than happy to help you!

lb707 replied to lml7221's response:
    Well I do have thyroid meds I take, have worked hard to keep up with intenstinal issue with great success, see a Chinese herbalist and have done acupuncture. I was low in Vit D but that has also been addressed. I still have fibro, maybe not as bad if I had not done all of this.

laurab

lml7221 replied to lb707's response:
    Wonderful! So happy to hear you are seeing an herbalist! I've taken some chinese herbs myself and they definitely help. I, for sure, got much more relief from Acupuncture though. The amount of inflammation in our bodies is absolutely crazy and the pain that it causes is torture. I'm looking into seeing a gastroenterologist soon - the intestinal issues that go along with FM are really the main source of all of our symptoms (including low vitamin D) so hopefully they will be able to give some answers. But Acupuncture has helped me discover where the source of our pain is - our intestines. I have also heard of people with similar symptoms to fibro (basically everything but the pain - brain fog, appetite issues, low vitamin d, sleep issues, weight issues, IBS, etc) have been CURED by clearing an overgrowth of bacteria in the small intestines - makes me wonder if our intestinal problem is something like that, a bacteria!! I think it's very possible. My acupuncturist also told me once before that the chronic nature of my intestinal issues (it always comes back within a few days, so all my symptoms thus return, they are very persistant) could be caused by dampness in the intestines. This dampness he's referring to could essentially mean ROT....our intestines could be rotting which is causing the inflammation. Now, rotting intestines sound serious but to put it in perspective EVERYONE'S guts are rotting in this country - the packaged food, chemicals, preservatives we eat are obviously causing damage but our damage could just be something more serious than the norm.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
    Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    489 of 564 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.