Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/fibromyalgia/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

pet peeve
    galliemae posted:
    people not believing that im in pain,.
    Was this Helpful?
    3 of 3 found this helpful

dollbug responded:
    Hello and welcome .....MiMi in NC....trust me....we, FMers, understand exactly what you are saying.....there are so many people who have NO CLUE*****what we go through each and every day. I hope you will check out the info here under *tips* and *resources*....I am sure you will find some good *tools and tips* that just might help you cope better. Be sure and read the *member toolbox* and *Dr. P's discussions as well...(he is no longer here but left us with some good info)

MiMi
    IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

badwolf5 responded:
    In the past, I have tried showing people a pain scale and where fibromyalgia pain ranks. On that pain scale, it's one level below giving birth.

Even after people see it, they still say "you can't be in that much pain. You look fine."

They don't understand that we get used to it and continue on with our lives despite being in agony most of the time. We get very good at hiding it because hiding it is easier than explaining it to people who refuse to understand.

katmandulou replied to badwolf5's response:
    Hi badwolf5, and welcome!

Not everyone is in pain every hour of every day. My doc and I manage my pain well, and I have good days and bad days. He asks me to rate my pain on a 1-10 scale, with 1 being free from pain and 10 being the worst. I live in the 4-5 range most of the time. On sunny warm days I'll be between 1 and 4. Today is cold and rainy here, I'm at 6 or 7, and feel exhausted.

In addition to the great tips and resources Mimi mentioned to the right, I have this one: http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com It's a great read, and look at The Spoon Theory. It's a good way to let people know exactly how you feel. Some days we get fewer spoons.

We'll talk again, I'm sure. I wish you the best day you can possibly have,
    Lou

fibrofran17 responded:
    hi gallie, been there...realized that if people don't "believe how you feel" the trust in a relationship just isn't there and it's not your problem or worth any worries or concerns or drains on the little energy you have left to cope.All I care about is finding a Doctor that does and after a lifetime, I am old, I just found one. Am praying she can help some, at least she listens and asks the right questions.
    God loves you and believes you, and so do I,
    take care,
    mindy

bagelmom22 responded:
    I know it's been awhile since you've posted, but I hear ya galliemae! I have had fibromyalgia for quite some time but it has gone thru the roof this spring. I can hardly get out of bed, I can't get much done, and I get bad brain fog. This really does not help my work. I clean houses 2 times a week for 3 hours each. I believe ppl just think i'm fat and lazy, which I am to some extent, but that dies not explain the horrible aches and pains. After the cleaning I just feel DONE. Like I reeeeally need a nap and some pain pills. But I have to go to another client who I help with grooming and do odd jobs for. My husband tries to understand but it is difficult to understand why a 45 year old woman walks like a 70 year old!

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
    Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    489 of 564 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.