Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/weight-loss/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Includes Expert Content
    Electronic ab belts... Is there any health related issues?
    parad1se posted:
    Hello,

A friend of mine once bought one an he told me that a doctor had said that the ab belt was stimulating his apendix, and that was the likely cause of his pain. Also, according to the doctor, his apendix could have bursted thru further use. Is this true? Are there any other health related issues, with using this kind of product?

I did read an article on webmd, and the people who did the study said that they saw no real value in this product. I know it's more of a lazyness scenario, the quick fix, but I am willing to part with my money for one, and would like some guidence on what to look out for, please.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
    Hi parad1se,

They don't work. In physical therapy there is electric stimulation to help muscles contract, but this is for injured muscles and the effect is only good enough to get these muscles moving. It doesn't help healthy muscles. There is, as you say, no quick fix. As for the safety of the devices, here's an article you'll be interested in. Don't buy it.

The Truth About Those Ab Belts FTC Charges Marketers With Fraud And Deception

(New York) (CBS) May 9, 2002

Who hasn't seen all those infomercials flooding the airwaves: How to get abs with tone and definition and the sexy washboard stomach that you've always dreamed of —— all without breaking a sweat. Pulsating jolts of electricity do the work for you, the ads claim, by making your muscles contract.

Millions of people have been seduced. But Wednesday, the Federal Trade Commission called the claims absolutely false.
    "These electronic ab gadgets don't do a thing to turn a bulging beer belly into a sleek six-pack muscled stomach," said FTC chairman Timothy Muris. He said the government charges the marketers of the Ab Energizer, Abtronic and Fastabs with fraud and deception.

There are even reports of injuries from the devices: shocks, burns, interference with pacemakers ...some people actually had to go to the hospital.

Fitness trainer Stephen Hinton got a jolt when he tried one. "It burned me, it did. The shocking from the gel -- it was awful!"

In addition to claims of false advertising, the FTC says the ads didn't specify that the equipment shouldn't be used by some people. The agency says this includes people with implanted pacemakers, swollen or inflamed areas, or cancerous lesions.

Officials want the alleged false ads stopped and the companies required to pay redress to consumers.

Abenergizer says it'll work with the government to resolve the concerns. Fastabs says it can't be blamed for how people use the belts. Abtronic wouldn't comment. But this may be the last of those chiseled bare bellies on TV.

For those who think they can get rock hard abs without sweating in the gym for hours, Hinton says: "It will not happen."

The hard truth, say experts, isn't shocking at all.

Helpful Tips

Interval TrainingExpert
    Hello Everyone, I mentioned in my Losing Belly Fat post that aerobic exercise will help, and if you want to increase your fitness quickly ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    82 of 100 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.