Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

    Includes Expert Content
    Adult Toe Walking
    deejayd09 posted:
    My significant other and I often do work out videos together, and I find that she can't do the leg workouts as well as I can. She physically can't bend her ankles normally because of a tight achilles. She's 20 now, and I'm worried its too late to do anything about the toe walking at this age. Everything I've found online suggests this should be corrected at an early age such as 6 or before. Anyone have any suggestions about what can be done to stretch or lengthen the achilles to gain range of motion?

    Any help would be appreciated.
    Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
    Tight/short Achilles and early heel rise can be an anatomical condition that is not easily corrected. Stretching can be helpful if it's just a tight Achilles, but that's not always the only problem. She should stretch both soleus and gastrocnemius Here's a picture of the soleus stretch The gastroc is the standard calf stretch. You can search for more images of both of them. I can't say how much improvement she'll gain, but it's worth trying.

    Take care,

    Helpful Tips

    weight loss for diabetics
    I'm diabetic and have a horrible time with carbs. Recently came across His system seems to be working with no adverse ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 3 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.