Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/weight-loss/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Preparing for baby...Kinda
    candi352 posted:
    So we are planning to try to begin trying to have a baby next December. I have talked to my doctor about this and am a diabetic. She wants me to have my A1C down to a 7 and advised me to prepare by acting as if I am pregnant already, which means eating right and taking care of body. I need some nutrition/meal planning tips. Any suggestions?

jimmykahn responded:
    Well first you have to take a lot of calcium and Iron foods. Things like egg(calcium rich) or spinach (for iron) You can search for material on the internet.there is tons available.http://www.healthunits.com/best-food-during-pregnancy/ Apart from this, with consultation from your doc you'llalso need supplements like folic acid etc

brunosbud responded:
    Before I respond to your question, may I get your response to the following? Do you believe type 2 diabetes is "reversible"?

Another way of asking the same question, Do you think an A1C of greater than 7.0 can be lowered to "normal" levels (below 6.0) through diet and exercise, only?

nutrik responded:
    A diet for a diabetic person isn't from another planet, to be true it is what every normal person should be eating, if you are trying to get pregnant you need to follow a few simple steps.

1. Eat healthy (eat food from every group of food but in the right amounts, add more veggies, fruits, whole grains, low fat dairy, nuts, olive oil, lean meats to your diet and stay away from fast food and processed foods) and drink plenty of water.
    2. Read labels (when you go shopping you need to be aware of what you are buying, stay away from high sodium and foods loaded with sugar and unpronounceable ingredients.
    4. Exercise daily.
    5. Get enough sleep 8-9 hours daily.
    6. Watch your micronutrients, when you are pregnant you need to increase your intake of folic acid, iron, calcium and vitamin B12. some foods that might help spinach, broccoli, lettuce, bananas, enrich cereals (watch sugar), lean meat products, dairies (watch sugars).
    When you are pregnant your calorie needs increase depending on your weight before the pregnancy you need to check that so you can adjust your diet to keep your blood sugar stable.
    Qalorie.com can be a very useful app for you, there you can keep track of you daily foods, calories, nutrients, water and exercise that way you can be sure you are giving your body exactly what it needs to stay healthy and you also can get help from certified nutritionists online.

Helpful Tips

weight loss for diabetics
    I'm diabetic and have a horrible time with carbs. Recently came across JorgeCruise.com. His system seems to be working with no adverse ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.