Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/weight-loss/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at CommunityManag[email protected]

Why does fitness seem so complicated?
    Flyers90 posted:
    I'm not in good shape. I know I should be. Every time I see someone who is into some kind of fitness it's something different. The foods, the shakes, the workouts and the combination of all of them. I feel like if I start to workout I won't be doing it right and I would be doing more harm then good. What is the best direction to take?

brunosbud responded:
    Anybody whose travel the diabetes "road" and reversed it, beat heart disease, stroke or heart attack or acheived complete cancer remission will give you the same advice: The health improvement industry is worthless. It's selling ice cubes to eskimos. It's for people fixated with, "Why don't I look like that?"

How many people do you know qualify for the list, above? None! Maybe one, at best? But, if you did, you would hear the same, consistent message: Good health (ie. "fitness") is the slow, steady, improvement towards piecing together a healthier lifestyle. It's a long term, well planned "construction project".

I'll prove it...Everybody, my age, wants to look like Liam Neeson, Helen Mirren or Christie Brinkley: Hot bodies over 60. They will never look like them. Want to know why?

You can't have a flat belly and smoke, drink lots of beer, soda, diet soda, eat lots of donuts or candy. If you go to the beach during the summertime (anywhere on the planet) what you will see is a lot of older men and women with skinny little legs, noodle arms but nice, round, soccerball shaped pot bellies. They are not fat. The pot belly is due to "fatty liver". The "pot" is due to swelling and inflammation of the liver lobes. 99% of people my age are experiencing varying stages of fatty liver disease. Liam Neeson, Christie Brinkley and Helen Mirren don't have fatty livers. People who reverse their diabetes or cure their cancer don't have fatty livers.

Thus, to answer your question, forget trying to "buy" your way to better health. Great fitness begins with properly identifying your goals. It's not about videos ("Insanity" is my favorite blockhead video), gadgets (The "Muscle Belt" for the same wack-a-moles who bought "Insanity"), shakes or supplements that if you purchase, right now, "you can save 50% off retail".

It's about crafting a new and improved lifestyle. It's about eating unprocessed, natural foods. It's about drinking plenty of clean water. It's about getting out and moving, 24/7/3,650. It's about learning the critical importance of sleep and how to achieve good sleep, 365. Most of all, how to rehabilitate your fatty liver.

Liam Neeson, Brad Pitt, Christie Brinkley or Helen Mirren do not have a fatty, diseased liver. Neither do people who have cured their diabetes or cancer. And, neither do I!

John Wooden's "Pyramid of Success" would still work, guaranteed, for both the Lakers and the Bruins, today. That's the thing about solid fundamentals. They never get old.

nutrik responded:
    To be true, a healthy lifestyle its a lot more simple that it seems. There are many myths, half truths around this whole thing but the truth is that you can resume a healthy lifestyle in 5 simple steps.
    1. Eat healthy (eat food from every group of food but in the right amounts, add more veggies, fruits, whole grains, low fat dairy, nuts, olive oil, lean meats to your diet and stay away from fast food and processed foods) and drink plenty of water.
    2. Read labels (when you go shopping you need to be aware of what you are buying, stay away from high sodium and foods loaded with sugar and unpronounceable ingredients.
    4. Exercise daily (or minimum 3 days per week 30 mins. If you don't exercise right now start with baby steps walk, then jog then run if you are going to the gym start lifting weights appropriate for you don't over workout or you will end up injured).
    5. Get enough sleep 8-9 hours daily.
    Qalorie.com can be a very useful app for you, there you can keep track of you daily foods, calories, nutrients, water and exercise that way you can be sure you are giving your body exactly what it needs to stay healthy and you also can get help from certified nutritionists online.

brose005 responded:
    I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and knew I had to start losing weight and getting in shape but I had no idea what I was doing.

I just started using a personal trainer and it is making all the difference. He answers all my questions that I have about workouts, nutrition, supplements, etc. It is definitely worth the money. You just have to make sure to find the right personal trainer. There are a lot of bad ones out there or may be good for some people but not for you.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

brunosbud replied to brose005's response:
    What you suggest is especially true especially for those with sleep apnea. Many who develop sleep apnea may be dealing with multiple co-morbidities...Type 2 Diabetes, high blood pressure, dyslipidemia, IBS, etc. In addition, they may be taking multiple prescription drugs, too. An exercise program, unsupervised or supervised by a trainer who has little experience with these conditions, could easily overlook hypoglycemic episode or a heart attack/stroke.

A fitness program is not complicated provided common sense is used. In other words, take it slow and easy at the beginning. Just walk! Unfortunately, people who are unfit and obese don't think that way; That's why they're unfit. Hence, a personal trainer may be a good solution.

Helpful Tips

Interval TrainingExpert
    Hello Everyone, I mentioned in my Losing Belly Fat post that aerobic exercise will help, and if you want to increase your fitness quickly ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    82 of 100 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.