Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/weight-loss/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Not Losing Weight
    An_267118 posted:
    I see discussions on calories per day, etc, but I have never been successful on counting calories per day..the best success I've had in losing weight was to cut the carbs and whites (bread, rice, pasta , dairy (except cheese), sugar) and exercise as simple as a mile walk at least 5 times a week or exercise videos if raining. If you have a dog..it's even easier to walk around the neighborhood or park. I have found that cutting carbs during the week and maybe splurging a bit on weekends..i can still lose weight. I lost 25 pounds in a couple mos . back in 2012 doing this. I have gained 8 pounds back since then not following the elimination of whites although i still walk so need to cut carbs again..more of a challenge at 56, but hopefully will starting with the next meal and not waiting until Sun. or Mon next week.

nutrik responded:
    A good is one that allows you to eat every food from every group (carbs, fruits, veggies, dairy, meats, good fats). They key is to make smart choices, cutting the carbs is one of the most common mistakes ever made when it comes to diets.
    Let me tell you something YOU DONT NEED TO CUT THE CARBS TO LOSE WEIGHT, what you need to do is to make smart choices, choose whole grains, brown rice, low fat dairy, fruits, veggies and avoid processed foods with tons of added sugars. If you cut the carbs there can be negative side effects, such as mood swings (you will get cranky), memory loss, weakness, and of course you will lose weight but you will be losing muscle mass, if your body does not have glucose for energy it will start using your muscle mass as a source of energy (the less muscle mass you have the slower your metabolism will be), and body fat as energy (if it does it for a long therm can lead to several neurological side effects).
    Qalorie.com can be a very useful app there you can keep track of your daily calories, foods, nutrients, water and exercise so you can be sure you are giving your body exactly what it needs to stay healthy. And you can also get help from nutrition experts so you can reach your goals in a safe way.

Helpful Tips

edugator66
    I recommend you get your thyroid checked. I was having trouble maintaining my 75 lb. weight loss until I found out I was hypothyroid. Now ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    7 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.