Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/weight-loss/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at CommunityManage[email protected]

Thoughts on using a personal trainer
    brose005 posted:
    I have just got into exercising and I am considering the idea of hiring a personal trainer.

- What are people's thoughts on personal trainers?
    - Are they worth it?
    - How do I find the right one for me?

brunosbud responded:
    Why not look at your question from the perspective of the trainer. Why not go to a local gym and speak to a trainer, in person. Ask them, "If you could get everyone of your clients to achieve success, exercising, what would that look like? How do you define a successful client-trainer engagement?"
    If the trainer is minimally competant and professional, they would most likely say, "...Much depends what the client hopes to achieve. A happy and successful relationship is when the client accomplishes their goals, not mine..." In other words, it's like every other thing in life. If you don't know what you want and you don't care what you get, expect to get exactly that...Nuttin'.
    What I'm trying to say, as simplistically as possible, If you can't say what you want and hope to achieve, it's never"worth it". (and, whose fault is that?).

PS: It was hard to "believe" what basketball fans witnessed on April 13, 2016, the night of Kobe Bryant's final game of his hall of fame career. 60 points was "impossible" to everyonebut Kobe. Insane goals beget insane results.

brose005 replied to brunosbud's response:
    Hahahaha, thanks so much for the advice. You make some good points. I will look into it further.

PS: I think both teams practically let Kobe get his 60 points as the game met nothing and his field goal percentage was far from stellar, especially from beyond the arc. I think Curry's 400 three pointers in a single season is a better example.

Disclosure: I am a Warriors fan

georgemendez responded:
    If you can't motivate yourself, then go for a personal trainer. However, I think you can find the guts and kick your arse to train. In my opinion a personal trainer is just a waste of money.

Helpful Tips

Interval TrainingExpert
    Hello Everyone, I mentioned in my Losing Belly Fat post that aerobic exercise will help, and if you want to increase your fitness quickly ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    82 of 100 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.