Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/weight-loss/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

See Saw
    Cammy1126 posted:
    I have been heavy my entire life. I have dieted, exercised, lost ect then something happens and I go into a spiral of binging and not working out. It never fails. I don't know how to stop that cycle bc I just lose motivation until I hate myself again and kick my butt back into gear. I had a medical condition that prevented me from lifting weights for the last two years and I recently had surgery so wasn't able to work out for months. I'm finally back to the gym and starting to lift again, taking classes ect. I'm working on my nutrition but it's not ideal yet. I just don't know how to prevent the hate spiral from happening again now that I have some traction. Any suggestions or similar battles?

brunosbud responded:
    I wish to preface my remarks to emphasize a point: It's not your fault. It's no one's fault. We are too easily manipulated. We construe advertising for fact and education. Therefore, please don't misunderstand...

Weight is a "measure", a reference point, of your overall health. Similarly, when you have a fever, you run a temperature higher than 98.6 (normal). Because you do not consistently exercise "healthy" lifestyle practices your weight is riding well above normal, too. In other words, your "over"weight is analogous to running a temperature of 104.0. This is a concept that fat people simply refuse to acknowledge and accept. It's the equivalent of trying to manipulate your body temperature when you have an infection; If that worked, everybody would be taking ice baths to get over a fever. What we do, instead, is drink plenty of water, eat a bland diet & get plenty of rest until the infection subsides...and, VOILA!! Temperature drops back to 98.6! What we did is help our body do it's job in fighting the infection, naturally.
    People that lose weight, long term, once again, help their body do it's job by adopting empowering lifestyle fundamentals instead of jumping about like monkeys to 3AM infomercial videos (or lifting tons of iron) because Obesity is a disease that requires plenty of rest in order for the body to repair!.
    Regarding your "self-hate spiral" and how to avoid it? Simply, read what you wrote...Read it 10 times...Read it 20 times...read it 50 times! The way to stop any self-hate is to stop repeating the same mistake, over and over (and over and over and over...). Q.E.D.

Helpful Tips

Interval TrainingExpert
    Hello Everyone, I mentioned in my Losing Belly Fat post that aerobic exercise will help, and if you want to increase your fitness quickly ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    82 of 100 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.