Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/weight-loss/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Hard time climbing anything!
    Travelbug11 posted:
    I can walk forever on a flat surface but as soon as I start climbing I get extremely short of breath and fatigued. I am not in good shape but also not too overweight (only about 10 lbs over my ideal weight). I know I need to get in better shape but I'd like to know what exercises I can do to help with my lungs, as well, so I can do some hiking and sightseeing with my family on our trip to Germany.

rohvannyn responded:
    Sounds like you need a little more cardio, which is for developing the heart and lungs, and some endurance training. Walking on a flat surface is something we're really good at so it doesn't really test us much.

If you have access to a gym, doing some variable incline work on a treadmill would work, with intervals on the flat for you to rest. An elliptical trainer would help too, with the same interval training. Easy, hard, easy, medium, easy, hard, and so on. Most of them can be programmed like that. It helps your endurance by giving you little breaks throughout so you can work longer.

If you don't have equipment to use, find a set of stairs and climb them a few times every day. Or find a hill and go up it. Stop and rest when you are tired, but try to go a little bit faster each time (just a little) and keep testing yourself.

Also, head to a grocery store and have your body fat percentage checked - many of us are only a little above our ideal weight but don't have enough muscle mass. Building that will help your tone and increase your ability to do things, as well as help you burn more calories.

christinaorr65 responded:
    I agree that you should do more cardio to build up your endurance. Maybe start doing some leg exercises or using small weights as well so you can have more overall strength. When I know I am needing extra energy for a bog workout, or for something like your trip to Germany, I take something like liporidex max or NRG on hand so I can get an extra boost of energy. Coffee and things like that don't really agree with me, but sometimes I need some more energy to push through. Have a great trip!

Helpful Tips

edugator66
    I recommend you get your thyroid checked. I was having trouble maintaining my 75 lb. weight loss until I found out I was hypothyroid. Now ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    7 of 13 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.