Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/weight-loss/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Undercooked chicken
    HeidiBug731 posted:
    I was cooking chicken on the grill Monday night, set the heat on low, came back a few minutes later to realize the food wasn't cooking right. I set the grill on high, walked away, came back and the food still wasn't cooking well. Realizing we were out of fuel, I moved the chicken from the grill and into the broiler to cook. I haven't heard any complaints from the rest of my family members, but this morning I had what we call "the poops." I was running back and forth to the bathroom and experiencing very soft stool. Not diarrhea, but soft. After making about three running trips between 7am and 11am, I felt perfectly fine again. Because we had just gotten back from vacation and because we had had a fresh veggies from the garden also that day, I did not immediately attribute my issues to the chicken. I therefore had another piece for lunch today (Tues). :pbpt: I now realize that wasn't the brightest idea. I did microwave the chicken until it was popping, but after lunch my stomach didn't feel that well, and I realized it must have been the chicken that was causing me problems. I haven't experienced any of my bathroom runs since lunch (12pm), but I was just wondering if this is something I should go to the doctor for or I'd be okay riding it out. Currently, I feel fine, but my stomach and digestive system are making gurgle noises. It's nothing something I'm worried about, but I'm also wondering if there are signs I should watch out for that would indicate a need to hurry to the doctor's.

ElaineMageeRD responded:
    In one of my nutrition books they list 8 different types of organisms that cause food-borne illness and almost all of them list chicken or meats so that gives you a good idea of the likelihood it was your chicken that was causing the problem. Sometimes it isn't the chicken per se but the raw chicken juices that got onto something you consumed uncooked or a serving platter or serving spoon, etc... Since it sounds like your food poisoning was "milder" than some foodborne illnesses and because it sounds like the onset was pretty quick...my guess is it might be: Perfringens food poisoning (in meat and meat products stored at between 120 and 130-degrees) the onset is 8-12 hours and includes abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. Symptoms last a day or less and are usually mild but can be serious in old or weak people. On the other hand if it's Salmonellosis (in eggs, raw meats, poultry, etc...) the onset is 6 to 48 hours after eating and includes nausea, fever, vomiting, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, and headache and it can be fatal. Keep yourself hydrated and eat food and drink that will help your GI system rest (the BRAT diet--bananas, white rice, applesauce and white toast...sometimes yogurt goes down well too). I hope that helps! Elaine Magee

Helpful Tips

Crockpot cooking for oatmeal
    I have also seen recipes that cook oatmeal in the crockpot More
    Was this Helpful?
    5 of 6 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.