Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/digestive-health/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Reducing acid reflux naturally. What actually works?
    An_265384 posted:
    I read of so many natural ways to help reduce or cure heartburn and acid reflux.
    I'd like to hear from people who did find a natural help. What specifically worked from you?
    Did excersize help, did losing weight help? What dietary changes made the biggest impact.
    Thanks

rcarter responded:
    What helped me the most was exercise, losing weight and chiropractor acupuncture.

rcarter replied to rcarter's response:
    Forgot to mention a plant based diet (what I did first and was recommended by many doctors).

debbiegirl50 responded:
    During times that I experience acid reflux, I quickly take Zantac for relief. Lately, there have been no pains because i have stopped eating very late at night and have avoided carbo-loading before going to bed. So maybe it's one of the natural ways that actually works!

doichinka responded:
    I was suffering from GERD for 8 years.

I just dumped the experience which led me to more natural ways and must say that certain type and amount of physical activity and psychological mood work best for me. I am drug and symptom free for several years now:

http://doichinka.blogspot.bg/2015/11/thoughts-that-may-help-with-gerd.html

Good luck,
    Doichin

newtron responded:
    I had GERD bad for 2 years due to drinking too much grapefruit juice. Was up to 80 mg of Omeprazole at one point. Slept only 3 1/2 hours a night. I tried deep breathing exercises to strengthen my diaphragm which didn't seem to help that much. Found a you tube video called "truth about deep breathing" by strength camp and learned the way to deep breath to tighten the LES. It worked! I'm now off Omeprazole and have no reflux. Sleep 6 hours per night. 15 times a day I stretch my arms straight up over my head and lean back as far as I can. I then breathe slowly in and out as deeply as I can trying to fill every cubic centimeter of my lungs. I take 5-7 breaths. That's all. Try it. It works.

ashishsoni responded:
    acid reflux can be bcoz of many cause.

i will love to hear the symptoms of ur illness for ur help tnx

gmorning replied to newtron's response:
    Hello Newtron: I have heard that deep breathing helps to strengthen the diaphragm, but have been unsuccessful at this process, also. However, I've tried your description and can feel the expansion in my upper abdomen area and will continue to try this method. Just wanted to know how you can get this stretch in 15x a day. Any additional assistance will help. Thanks.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, my name is Brittany and I'm 21 years old. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia earlier in 2012 and have had back/neck alignment problems since I ...More

Helpful Tips

Gerd
    I too, had severe chest pain. Dr. ordered tests for heart. Did not have heart problems. Physicians Assistant told me to take Nexiun & ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.